Aebersold Jazz camp?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Beast, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Beast

Beast Guest

Jul 6, 2007
    San Diego, California
    I'm very seriously considering going to this Aebsersold jazz summer workshop. Anybody have any experiences with this? What can I expect?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    E-mail Chris Fitzgerald at this site, he is intimately involved with teaching at those...

3. Beast

Beast Guest

Jul 6, 2007
    San Diego, California
    I saw his name there, but I wasn't sure if the one on the website, was the one on here. Very cool! I'll pass him an email. Thanks.

4. TomSauter

TomSauter Guest

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    I went to an Aebersold camp when I was 15 or 16. I was really ignorant at the time and I didn't get a whole lot out of the theory classes or combo rehearsals, but it was great because I got turned on to tons of great records, and I learned a lot about lots of the great bass players.

5. MDEbass

MDEbass Guest

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    my friend went and said it was great. Rufus Reid teaches at those. Also, if its not to far away for you, I would consider the New Hampshire Bass Fest in the summer. I was taught by Rufus there and it was great. Very jazz focused.

6. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Discover Double Bass, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    Hi MDE,

I had to jump in on this. I often teach at the Aebersold workshops, as does your friendly moderator Chris Fiztgerald. It is one of the best bass experiences you can have—one of the best jazz learning experiences you can have. You play, study, listen and eat jazz from 8:30 a.m. until 11:00 p.m (they even have live jazz during lunch). There are a lot of fantastic players and teachers, plus students of ALL levels from all over the world. The price for tuition is extremely fair, and you get lots of playing and practical/theoretical material to take home with you. There are usually about 35 to 40 bass students of all levels. The faculty is usually:
    • Rich Armandi
    • J.B.Dyas
    • Chris Fitzgerald
    • David Friesen
    • John Goldsby
    • Bill Moring
    • Rufus Reid
    • Lynn Seaton
    • Bob Sinicrope
    • Frank Smith
    • Tyrone Wheeler

When I first went to the workshops back in the late '70s as a student, there were only about 10 students and Rufus Reid was the only instructor. Rufus is still there, and the Aebersold staff has the method and organization down (they have been doing it for decades now), and I highly recommend the week. I would recommend you also go to the bass/drum workshop, which takes place on the Saturday and Sunday before the week-long camp starts.

More info at www.summerjazzwokshops.com

I still do not know if I will be there this summer, but I would like to be. Maybe I'll see you.

7. Beast

Beast Guest

Jul 6, 2007
    San Diego, California
    Thanks for pitching in everybody! I'm going to see if I can do both Idyllwild's school of music, and this jazz camp, because from what I've seen, and what you guys have said, it definitely seems like something I'd be interested in. :hyper:

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I was going to jump in, but John beat me to it. About all I would add is that it is a great honor to teach alongside the bass faculty at the camps - in addition to being great players, they're all great people as well. Hope to see you there!

9. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Not to dissent, because I'll bet it is a great experience, but if you want to stay on the West Coast, check out Centrum in Port Townsend, WA. John Clayton and usually a really good pro-cast put on a good workshop and jazz festival as well.

10. Beast

Beast Guest

Jul 6, 2007
    San Diego, California

Thanks for the heads-up! That's a great alternative, because my parents are a bit iffy about sending me off to Kentucky.

Speaking of west coast camps, have you heard anything about the Idyllwild School of arts jazz program?

11. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Discover Double Bass, Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    The Port Townsend camp with John Clayton would of course be great as well. You can get a complete look at what is available here. The Stanford Jazz Camp is also worth considering.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Stick'em onna phone with Chris if the have parental type concerns...

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Jamey's camps have a large contingent of minors, and a special set of staff to help monitor their whereabouts and safety. There is a special dorm and meal plan for minors, and they have to check in with the staff each morning and evening to ensure that everyone is happy, healthy, and accounted for. One of the things I always like about teaching there is the chance to reach people who are playing jazz at much earlier ages than I did. In some cases, the young folks are playing at an age when, at the same stage in my life, I didn't even know what jazz was!

14. Beast

Beast Guest

Jul 6, 2007
    San Diego, California

I actually just stumbled on that on the website. It's a good thing I found this camp so early, maybe it'll give me enough time to convince them! I'd love to be a part of it. :hyper:

15. Although I've never attended personally, everyone I've ever talked to about the Aebersold Jazz Camps has had nothing but good things to say. It strikes me as incredible opportunity to get to work with Rufus Reid, Lynn Seaton, John Goldsby, Chris Fitzgerald and everyone else. Just too good to pass up. I've had the good fortune to meet Jamey Aebersold a few times, and he is a wonderful person and a lot fun to be around. Louisville is also a very nice place, and I can't imagine anyone not enjoying a visit there.

16. frichter

frichter Guest

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I went the summers after my sophomore and junior years of high school and benefited greatly. As long as you can survive Jamey sittin down with a banjo and telling you that smoking is bad, then the rest is a real treat. Do they still have everyone eat at Mastersons (is that what its called even?)? That maybe another downside . . . there's always the taco bell/pizza hut combination building just off of campus (with talking garbage cans). Aebersold's banjo playing and masterson's food aside, I would say that if you have the opportunity to go to the camp, jump on it. Beyond the great educators, there are some pretty darn good students that you can communicate with and learn from . . . its a great community.

17. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Does he say "I'm going to sit here and play this banjo until you stop smoking!"? Because that might be an effective program!

18. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey, banjo players might be able to make a living after all! :D

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  19. frichter

frichter Guest

Mar 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL

HA! :D

20. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    You could take the opportunity to start telling banjo jokes... (like the one about the bass player who locked his keys in the car... it took him 3 hours to get the banjo player out...)