P-Bass: 2008 vs. early 2000s - difference?!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mborok, May 30, 2009.

1. mborok

mborok

May 8, 2009
    I was checking out an American Standard p-bass made in 2000 and it sounded rather thin, then compared it to a new 2008 model which sounded really good, thicker, more bottom, more punch. I noticed that the pickups looked different; the salesman told me that the pickups (and everything else) on the 2000 were original equipment.

Is there really a significant difference in the MIA Precisions over that time period? If so, why, and when did they start getting worse and when did they start getting better? Based on this experience, I'm afraid I'll have a hard time finding a good used p-bass, and might have to spring for a new one.

Comments?

Thanks.

Mike

2. andymcclure

andymcclure

May 10, 2008
    Minneapolis
    2008 was a breakthrough year for Fender. They basically went back to making the instruments they should have been making all along, with a few refinements. There are plenty of great Fenders out there prior to 2008, but they definitely stepped up the whole line last year.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Inactive

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    Did the 2000 have the s1 switch from series to parallel?

4. mborok

mborok

May 8, 2009
    There was no switch - just the usual two knobs, vol and tone.

5. funkout5

funkout5 Guest

May 19, 2009
    Suburbia, USA
    ya fender made many changes to thier j and p basses in 2008

that is why a 2007 MIA will sell for 300 bucks less then a 2008

6. mborok

mborok

May 8, 2009
    So - 2008 was the point in time for the change. Any idea what specifically changed that would explain the difference in sound? Pickups?

7. Could it be the HMV bridge?

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The main advertised changes are the high mass bridge and thinner finish that supposedly promotes resonance. I don't think the pickups changed. However, I believe Fender is using better wood, which probably accounts for much of the change. The 2008 models are lighter on average, and a Fender rep told me this when I asked about the tonal improvement on the Jazz basses. He said the pickups were the same, and attributed the change to better woods.

9. mborok

mborok

May 8, 2009
    per vespasian1 link to Fender site, does this mean that pre-2003 all pickups were the original precision model?