1yr review of Bugera bvp5500 (Yes its made by Behringer)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hopsbb, Dec 25, 2014.

1. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    A little over a yr ago I purchased a Gk 115 210 stack from a guy used and the Bugera head came with it.Got a really good deal on it.

Wasn't really that interested in the Bugera at the time and was planning on selling it.Me and the seller were talking and he had owned it for 1-2yrs and really liked it but needed the cash.

Took it all home,hooked it up and was really surprised by it.I had always heard behringer products were garbage and never having owned one I could only hear other testimonies and assume as such.

Fast forward a yr and this thing has been great.It sounds amazing.Value tube preamp adds a real gooey warm tone.Its got a crap tone of options and features.I often play two basses during gigs so I'll set the turn side of the amp up for one and the graphic eq for the other.The bright and bass add buttons can really give u a thunderous rumble or a bright snappy sound.Basic low mid,high controls with frequency select to dial in just about any sound you want.Its got just about every feature as amps cost 2-3times as much if it were purchased new. I've got about $80 in the head if I were to break down the price of everything I bought from the guy that day.

Its been nothing but reliable for me.Have used it on the vast majority of my gigs no problem.It was the main stage rig for a festival I played back in October.4 other bassist used it that day and had nothing but good comments about the sound they were getting.Local band director of the middle/high school has used it for social functions with no problems and loves the thing.

I had always heard Behringer over rated there products power outputs but this one seems to hold true to its rating.550 peak,350 rms.It pushes the Gk stack just fine.

I like it so much that I've decide to try other Behringer products as well.Just bought a Behringer Bvt 4500 head that I'll be doing a review on as well.

So in conclusion,I was once skeptical about there stuff having read a lot of threads bashing them.After owning it for a yr with no problems and enjoying the sound I'm getting I would recommend them to others.

JACink, GKon, SirMjac28 and 4 others like this.
  2. Argassab

Argassab

Dec 16, 2014
    Cayman Islands
    Hmmmm, interesting. I guess weight is not bothersome.

3. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    Its not really heavy to me anyway.Its in a gator case that the previous owner put it in.Some ppl might find it on the heftier side.I like the weight of it though,it feels solid and constructed good.

Argassab likes this.
  4. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    I own this amp for a few years now and it's definitely the best value for the price as far as I'm concerned.

SirMjac28 and hopsbb like this.
  5. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    I have good experiences with a Bugera BVV 3000 all tube amp. Its a copy of the Ampeg SVT VR. An amp tech told me after having a close look into it that it is a good amp. As good as the Ampeg . after they "cheaped it out".

The sound is amazing. I highly recommend trying this amp before buying an Ampeg. I had some `SVT's on stage for rental, and I can't say I have a different tone when using my Bugera BVV 3000.

Btw, the price of the Ampeg is more than three times the price of a BVV in Germany., And Bugera has got the advntage of the Infinium-Circuit that allows you to use any tube - unmatched. So it was a no-brainer.

So there is nothing to complain about Behringer or Bugera amps. Just give them a chance.

SirMjac28 and Argassab like this.
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I think 80% of the people who knock them have never tried them I was guilty of doing that with Carvin basses until I actually played one and man what a nice instrument it served me right for not trying one sooner. I sometimes feel sorry for the people just starting out that come to this forum they really get some skewed opinions and miss out on some good inexpensive gear and if everything Behringer made was junk they would have went the way of MySpace by now irregardless of price.

7. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    Glad to know that you're having a great experience with the Bugera/Behringer!!

I discovered Behringer after moving to Greece a few years ago. I bought an amp head
    from them before ever reading any type of review. I was most interested in the features and
    let's be honest, the price.

That was over a year ago (if I remember correctly. Getting older, so I can't always be sure ;) )
    I'm overly happy with the sound I get out of it. It's been my gigging amp for the last year
    and so far, so good!

I have to agree with others that I believe most people that have problems with them have never actuallly used one,
    perhaps even falling victim to "brand-name-itus".

JACink, alaskaleftybass and hopsbb like this.
  8. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Does anyone have any suggestions on which tubes would be a good replacement? I know it uses 4 12AX7's. I heard one recommendationi of JJ's. Any other suggestions?

9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I have various Behriger products, and have had more.

As I have said on numerous occasions, some of their stuff is good, other is not. Most of their products do the job they are supposed to, for a small amount of money.

Its like a small, cheap car. It will take you wherever you want to go, it will not be as comfortable as a Mercedes and it will probably die a lot sooner than a Mercedes, but you could buy four of them for the price.

Argassab, Johnny Crab and GKon like this.