50w-100w Valve Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by faceinbass, Jan 23, 2011.

1. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys!

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    I'd like to join! I just got the final pics from Mark Ashley over at HammerTone Amps of my new "B100 Bass Amp"! I will be receiving it some time next week. It was built on an old Hammond HR40 amp chassis, and uses (4) 6L6G Tung Sol (Russian) power tubes, (1) Hammond 5U4G, and (2) vintage 12AX7 preamp tubes.

Mark said he configured it to a very modest 100 watts in the interest of long-term durability. I don't know much about the more technical specifications, and have no "hardware" pics to show yet, but when it arrives, I'll do a ful "NAD" post.

212-frtrt.jpg

Mark has named this the "B-100", and I do believe this is his first bass amp build. He primary builds very elegant and clean 18W six-string amps, often using old Hammond organ amp chassis's. I had several old Hammond tone cabinet chassis's, and this is what drew me to HammerTone Amps in the first place.

228-rear.jpg

This was built over a time period of six months, as Mark builds these on weekends (not his "day job"!). Since I was going for a completely "open air" design, I chose to go with the elaborate "Coke Bottle"-shaped power amp valves. After doing much research online, I had seen enough good reviews on the new Tung Sols to give them a try.

Aside from that, I wanted separate bass, mid and treble controls, along with a standby switch and a general volume control. I wanted both high and low input even though I have only one active bass, and several passive ones at this time. Mark also configured this amp to run either 4 ,8 or 16 ohm cabinets.

HammerTone Amps Facebook page

I'm very excited about this, as it will be my first all-tube amp. Conservatively rated at 100 watts, I'm sure this amp will get me through most of what I'll ever be needing. I'm still a rookie player (at 60 years of age, no less!), and can't see myself ever playing out in huge venues.

Teacher likes this.
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

A word of caution if I may. The 6L6G doesn't have the plate dissipation or voltage handling to work reliably in a 100W amp. You need the GC version for that.

The G is the metal 6L6 in a glass envelope.

3. HammerToneAmps

HammerToneAmps Guest

Dec 27, 2013
    Boone, NC
    Disclosure: I build guitar amps and occasionally get paid for them.
    Thanks Paul. The TungSols are rated for GC grade replacement, that's why Mike chose them.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Late to the party....I have a couple of Sunn 200s heads. Count me in.
    Pics when I can. They look just like all the other ones posted. :)

The 200s looks cool next to my 2000s!

5. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    Have you documented your PA100 mods etc., anywhere?

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You know, this is what gets me so angry. The tube designations are a standard method of keeping track of a tube's characteristics. Playing fast and loose with those standards will just lead to chaos!! You can see this happening already with the 5881 which is regularly subbed for the 'GC. Putting NOS 5881s, or the industry 6L6WGB, into an amp designed for 'GCs will give them a short life span. Note the B in that industry designation. The 5881 is from the 6L6B family line and delivers less power output than it's more modern brother.

7. de@n

de@n

Aug 5, 2010
    Slovenia
    This is my beauty...

[​IMG]

8. B'Boom

B'Boom

Feb 6, 2010
    France
    My Alessandro Basset Hound ( 100w with two Tung Sol KT-120 ) and Barefaced '69er cab

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

:hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper:

9. scars

scars

Jul 3, 2013
    Cape Cod

Bad@$$!!!

Would love to hear a review of this combination.
    Any sound clips?

10. B'Boom

B'Boom

Feb 6, 2010
    France
    I'm sorry but I have not sound clips of this WONDERFUL stack.
    It has its own tone signature which we can describe as the perfect mixture enters one SVT 1969 stack / B-15 / Hiwatt Custom stack / Fender Bassman.

11. Does that head only coincidentally resemble an Epi Valve Jr, or is it actually based on a V/Jr?

12. scars

scars

Jul 3, 2013
    Cape Cod
  13. aetheriac

aetheriac Supporting Member Commercial User

May 15, 2011
    Minnenapolis
    Now running a Hovercraft 90W Elder Giant

6P2G4Lj.jpg

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I had to do a search for this company. Very interesting offerings. I like yours! :cool:

15. You'll have to forgive the amp is shunted to the back (never mind the basses, they don't count for this forum!), but my '67 B-18N fits the profile of this thread; 60w! And it's oh so tubey and delicious

[​IMG]

bobyoung53 likes this.
  16. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Have to send pictures later. Amp is at practice space. Marshall SLP 100. Been my amp of choice for bass and guitar since I started playing.

17. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    50 watts

[​IMG]

100 Watts

[​IMG]

Before I bought these two amps and my Reeves 225, I was using a Fender Blues Deluxe as a portable bass amp, just for jams.
    While there was no low end, as long as I kept the volume under 3 it actually worked enough so you could hear the parts.

Teacher likes this.
  18. aetheriac

aetheriac Supporting Member Commercial User

May 15, 2011
    Minnenapolis
    Thank you, it's got a lot of grunt, and it's built to provide a variety of tone circuits at the flick of a switch or two. I'll get some soundcloud clips up of it soon.

19. OldPlucker

OldPlucker

Apr 5, 2014
    Maryland
    I would like to join. Here's my 67 Blackface and cabinet albeit slightly modified and heading back to stock.

ToY9lYRl.png

20. Classic69

Classic69 Inactive

Feb 25, 2014
    aead07e1-d7d5-4fd4-bf11-8ab06ef5ab8f.jpg

IN-right at the limit of 100W.

scars likes this.