SOLD '93 Peavey Fury w/ Bill Lawrence P-46

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by theschnitt, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theschnitt

theschnitt Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Your basic P-Bass with a thinner neck. This bass was mighty fine with the stock pickups, with the Bill Lawrence it came alive. Much more focused bottom, clearer highs, and perfect string-to-string balance. Just a hair under 1.5" at the nut, thin and fast neck with a finish worn to a very comfortable satin feel. Weighs 8.0# on the bathroom scale. Rock maple neck and maple fingerboard, western poplar body, poly finish on the body aged to a cream color.

As you can see, plenty of authentic "road wear," the worst of which is a nice soldering-iron burn I put on the pickguard when I installed the new pickup last month. Please check out the photobucket link for more detailed photos of bumps and bruises. The good news is that the back of the neck is immaculate and smooth, the truss rod works fine both ways, and the neck is straight. Takes a low setup, as you can see in the pics. Zero fret sprout in the desert climate, which is typically tough on necks and fingerboards. Dunlop dual-design straplocks installed.

This American beauty kicks the snot out of any Squier or offshored-Fender. You will not find another bass at this price with this quality. Micro-tilt neck and Bill Lawrence for less than the cost of a used CV or VM? Fuggetaboutit.

Balances well on a strap, slightly neck-heavy when seated without one. Ships with the original pickup and a generic padded gig bag.

$250 shipped west of the Mississippi, add another $25 to go east. CONUS only.

Buncha pics here.
    P1034019_zps109903c6.gif
    P1034040_zpsf6187f04.gif
    P1034035_zpsfaeee49f.gif
    P1034044_zps7eb272d4.gif
    P1034027_zps3616f73c.gif

2. Major Softie

Major Softie Guest

Sep 23, 2011
    South Lake Tahoe, CA
    I'm afraid that all you've done is make me want to try one of these on my Fury. :rolleyes:

So, still Classic P thumpy, just mo betta? 'Course, I've got Roto tapes on mine, so it's different sound to start with.

3. theschnitt

Jan 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, I run roundwounds on mine, so I'm sure it's a lot different. I get a great thump by rolling off the tone and using my thumb with my palm muting the strings. The P-46 has a much deeper and clearer low-end, with the tone turned up (more highs) there is a clarity that was missing before. Overall, it added nuance to the tone control that was missing, there are more usable shadings between the thumpy stuff and articulate.

Tone is so subjective, I hope that makes sense to others. Here is a link to the TB review thread for these pickups.

Really, Maj. Softie, if you love your current Fury like it sounds now, the best solution is to not mess with it. Just buy this one to see if you like the other pickup!

4. theschnitt

Jan 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Sold!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.