Aguilar DB112 or SL112?

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by Tieiririyi, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Hi Adam,

I just bought a tone hammer 500, and GAS for an Aguilar cab to match with it.

Between DB112 and SL112, which one do you like better tone wise?

Thanks for the help!

2. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    hi tieiririyi-

hmmm... that's a good question. the db112 is one of my all-time favorite cabinets and i love its full-range capabilities, so i'd probably have to give it the slight nod as my personal preference if i had to choose only one. (i'm very fortunate to own both and get to use them in different settings :) ) however, the sl112's are super-impressive, especially given how light and manageable they are. it's not that the db necessarily sounds _better_... just different. if you have any way of auditioning both, it would be worth your while to see which one you like better. to my ears, the db112 is a little bit 'pointier' and more 'direct', if that makes any sense. i really like the driver/horn combination on the db. the sl112 has a nice and round low end and reproduces those frequencies nicely, but with a slightly more tapered high end. it's very musical, as well. honestly these cabinets' most foundational characteristics are surprisingly similar with everything set flat, but they each have a special something of their own. see if there is a place you can hear both... it will be worth your while. good luck!

3. Thank you for your reply Adam!