Amazon Deals WITH Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by tastybasslines, Mar 16, 2015.

1. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
  2. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Fred312b likes this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
  4. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

5. steelbed45

steelbed45 36 on Ignore

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    World Music Direct is selling them for $299.99 on their website, I guess it's not matched up with Amazon.
    Interesting model - WMD states that it was never released due to Stu's endorsement hopping. EMG pickups with what appears to be the BTC circuit.
    Could be a very nice pick up for 300 clams.

6. MattLplaysBass

MattLplaysBass Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Is it the USA made one without the piezos? Or is it an import? Still not a bad deal either way (it'd probably cost you 1/2 that just to get the electronics), but if it's a USA, it's a steal.

No more info on their website

Washburn Stu Hamm 4 String Bass Guitar EMG Pickups Black

After some more research, I'm going to guess it's an import, probably a step up from the SHB60 that you can get at sweetwater for $379...

Washburn Stu Hamm Signature SHB60 - Tobacco Sunburst Sparkle | Sweetwater.com

Someone on slickdeals bought one too:

Washburn Stu Hamm 4 String Bass Guitar with EMG Pickups - $299.99 at World Music Supply - Slickdeals.net

This has been on there since the middle of June- surprised there's any left.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    My guess is that these are not the US models, nor are they the entry level versions. Most likely, given the MSRP, Skyline quality models. Probably a really good deal.

Fred312b likes this.
  8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    This model seems to have a combination of elements from various models, as the full Washburn Stu Hamm line is detailed here: Washburn Introduces Series of Stu Hamm Signature Model Basses | Guitar World

According to this write up, only the USA model has EMG pickups, as the one in this thread has. On the other hand, the USA model was supposed to have the piezo bridge pickups, which this model doesn't. Furthermore, it was only the bottom end model that was available in solid black (but with totally passive system.)

Personal suspicions, a hybrid of USA and import parts that never made beyond being a prototype, which is why it is so inexpensive right now. I think this because years ago, then the Washburn Taurus line first came out, a dealer had a handful of T-35's on ebay, I think a total of 10, or possibly less. I picked one up at a similar blowout price. Like the T-24 and T-25 it is made in Vietnam (at least the T-24 and T-25 were made in Vietnam back then) but it has a USA Seymour Duncan MM5 pickup, USA Seymour Duncan preamp, and USA Wilkinson bridge, all gold hardware. It was sold as a prototype that never made it to market, but it is by far the nicest Washburn Taurus bass that I have ever seen.

This could be a winner at this price!

9. Chad T

Chad T

Feb 10, 2013
    Indiana
    To add to the pot: EMG doesn't even make an X series MM pickup. Perhaps they did in the past, but not currently. Maybe EMG did a special run just for Washburn?

10. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

Hi!

The Stu Hamm Series was composed in their introductory year by the SHBH3 with custom EMG X pups made only for Washburn USA Stu Hamm basses. This bass had MM at the neck and a J at the bridge with a piezo. A second (less expensive) Washburn USA Series bass was the SHBH1 with the same EMG X configuration but without piezo and controls config as it have V/V/T control knobs all the other specs was similar than the SHBH3 (only missing the drop-D tuner). The import models was the SHB60 with similar configuration but with Washburn pups copy of the EMG X, The SHB40 was the import version of the Made In USA SHBH1 and finally the SHB30 was equipped with Washburn JJ pups.

The SHB65 found on Amazon or on WorldMusicSupplies was prepared for the 2015 year productions but as Stu change again his endorsement for Warwick, Washburn decided to take out all the Stu Hamm Series from is catalog leaving this bass (and also the SHB85 and the SHB35) in a twilight zone situation. The SHB65 was essentially a five strings SHB60 with the same pups and electronics. The SHB85, strangely is a four strings?!?! And is an import version of the SHBH1 that replace the SHB40 because of the upgraded pups from Washburn to EMG X pups. Finally, the SHB35 (listed earlier this year on eBay by Butler Music) was a five strings version of the SHB30.

Personally, I own an Made In USA SHBH1, terrific bass so comfortable and every thing on that bass is top quality. I also own an SHB30, the entry level Stu Hamm Series and even if this little J-bass clone components is of a far lesser quality than on the top end, the tone and the playability worth far much than the price asked for those bass.

dcarwin likes this.
  11. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    So is the one we see at a great price a USA SHBH1 or the import SHB85?

12. SP_EB4L

It's an SHB85, the SHBH1 got Hipshot Lollipop tuners instead of the licensed Ultralite ones. Furthermore, the SHBH1 finish is satin stealth fighter black and the SHB85 is gloss black finish.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  13. SP_EB4L

SHBH1:
    17117-desktop.jpg

SHB85:
    $_57.jpg

14. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Thank you SP_EB4L for making the distinct clarification

15. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish

R&B likes this.
  16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    dave79 likes this.
  17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I agree. I was surprised to see the Bubinga as an option; but think the Tobacco Burst looks better.

18. SP_EB4L

You're welcome SMG, It's been a pleasure to make the point on these basses.

19. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
  20. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    dcarwin likes this.