Ambient/Post-Rock/Textural bass playing thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ttasselm, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dmccuiston

dmccuiston mediocre post-rock bass person

Jul 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    How have I missed this thread?! The exact reason I joined TalkBass!
    I've been playing instrumental Post-Rock for a bunch of years now
    Currently I am running a smaller board than I have been, but for right now it is pretty dialed in - Catalinbread SFT OD >MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe >MXR Phase 90 Script > EarthQuake Devices Dispatch Master (essential) > Neunaber WET Reverb (from ghosts to whale songs) > TC Ditto Looper.

I just let a Carbon Copy go, but will probably replace with a dedicated delay besides the Dispatch Master. I also have an RV-3 for sale or for interesting trade if anyone is interested.

I'll post some sounds soon.

2. Followup: I got the Ernie Ball Pan pedal.

...and, well, it makes a good volume pedal at least. But in pan mode you only get full signal when panned all the way left or right. As you pan though the center the signal gets quiet, so in stereo it sounds like the instrument is moving "away" from you as you pass from left to right. Worse, if you are counting on the amp gain for your grit or overdrive, that goes away when the signal fades in the middle.

I watched the demo video for the EHX pan pedal with headphones on, and it sounds to me like it does the same thing.

So my quest for the best live pan effect continues.

3. As an aside, am I the only one who gets lost on EHX's website? That is one of the most GAS-inducing companies ever. So many cool effects pedals, and you gotta love how they demo them with other EHX pedals, just to compound the GAS.

As a guy who loves to play with synths and electronics, EHX is basically targeting my wallet personally.

Speaking of EHX pedals, the bass part on this around 1:05 is played through an EHX Super Ego, which makes my Ric sound like a cello, sort of...this is the sort of thing I do at home by myself. I intend to play more bass on some of these in the future.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    willbassyeah and Veldar like this.
  4. Hugh Person

Hugh Person Guest

Jun 4, 2013
    Nice thread! 'Ve anyone used quadraverb for this? I've got 2 tube spring reverbs but bass overdrives springs a lot (may be 'cause of too hot active pickups output dunno, any ideas?), so may be it's time for me to buy strymon's reverb. Anyone use strymon? What's the best reverb pedal for bass anyway?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  5. bought a ditto looper (finally!) and haven't had a chance to jam with it yet.

i've got a question for y'all.........do any of you use the ditto live and not layer it (recording muultiple overdubs)? my intent is to put it front of the chain, put down a rhythm and start twiddling knobs. almost using it like a dj would. anyone try this?

Somnambulance likes this.
  6. also, i feel stupid for asking, but what is that silly looking plug above where i would plug in the power supply?!

7. I believe you're asking about the mini USB socket. From the manual -

"This is a USB Mini-B type socket. It can be used to transfer software updates to this product from a computer." Not sure if there are any other uses.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  8. ahhhhh.......much thanks. mine only came with a "quick start" guide.

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    mattbass6945 likes this.
  10. kind of weird that they would put that on a looper, since there aren't really "toneprints" for it. although, i suppose if there were some kind of bug after production, maybe you could update it to fix it! hmmm.....i shall give it a thorough run through at practice tomorrow night!

11. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    champbassist likes this.
  12. ah! way to look out for a brother! thanks. are these cables fairly standard? where do i find a usb mini b cable? you guys are so much better than google.........

13. i just noticed an update to the manual, was there a bug? be patient with me, i suck at technology.

14. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I posted the wrong link, just fixed it.
    The cable is a standard USB cable, you'll find that in any store selling computer stuff.

15. cool! do you recommend i update immediately or see if there is an issue, then address? i know there can be problems no matter what, but tc is pretty good quality in general, no?

16. i bought mine new, i wonder if there is a way to tell if mine is pre/post bug fix? i guess there is no telling how long it sat on a warehouse shelf!

17. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    I would just get the cable and check to see if it's been updated myself. Why even chance it?

18. I run my Digitech Whammy into my Grey Stache and that mess into a chorus pedal and phaser and then into reverb, when i'm going maximum pedal board. I also play with an Ebow on flats, and a fretless bass.
    I play mostly ambient drone and noise, so it works out.

If anyone wants to hear what it sounds like I would be more than happy to post clips. I just don't have the best amp, as it's a Roland Microcube.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    Veldar and Somnambulance like this.
  19. .......but i like to live on the edge! ok, you talked me into it.

20. please feel free to upload audio! can't wait to hear it!