Ampeg SVT-4 Pro Ground Lift Issues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LedBelli Bass, Feb 7, 2009.

1. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Amp has no ground lift (what were they thinking?).

Yet, amp has persistent humm/buzz through the house PA when run D.I.

Anyone else experienced this?

Solutions?

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Depending on what model that is, it DOES have a ground lift, and it is lifted. The outputs asre transformer coupled, and there is NO connection between the chassis of the amp and the mixer.

In that case, any hum etc would have to come either from a defect in the mixer, a defect in the DI transformer, or hum induced in the transformers from outside, like something else nearby in the rack.

3. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    The mixer is brand new, and this amp has done this with all mixers that it has run through. From day one . . .

Other equipment in the rack: Korg Tuner and Furman Power Conditioner.

I can't imagine either one of those causing a prob.

Thing is, I've heard through the grapevine of this being a VERY common issue with the SVT-4 Pro.

The only solution I've found is to either

A) run the amp out one of the 1/4" jacks into a direct box. That eliminates the hummmm.

B) Mic the cabinet . . .

I'd prefer to use the balanced output tho . . .

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Then my suspicion is that the internal transformers in teh 4 pro are for some reason turned in such a way as to pick up hum.

They aren't shielded like mic transformers, and I seem to recall something like that. I thought it was with very new ones, and not older ones, but then I don't know how old yours is.

Anyway, there is zero way for the setup to hum due to any form of "loop", since it is "permanently ground lifted" in the design.

5. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Assuming that is the case, is there an easy fix? When you say the transformers are "turned" do you mean like, installed improperly, or somethinglike that?

6. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    I'll be interested to see what the resolution to this problem is since my 4pro has the exact same problem.

7. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    THAT'S what I'm talkin about! A lot of people have the same issue . . .

If the ground lift is built in . . . :bag: . . . then what's up and why is it so common?

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Guest Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Read this. If there's a loop one or more of the described issues is in play.
    http://www.rane.com/note110.html

9. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    this prob have been addressed before as it seems don't have solution, Jerrold as always is been more then helpful helping others( thanks man!!). I use a di in the 1/4 output, a very cheap way to solve this issue , but other then that I love this head.

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    OK

#1, no "ground loop" can exist, the landing gear, oops I mean the circuit, has no thru connection between chassis in any recent 4PRO

#2 BOTH DI outputs are fully transformer isolated, eleiminating ANY wire connection to the 4PRO chassis.

So... The problem is virtually certain to be induced hum.

I seem to recall that certain of the 4PRO units actually had the transformers oriented in a way that allowed the internal power transformer to induce hum right in. naturally that makes it part of the signal, and you'll never get rid of it in that case. The transformers need to be turned differently.

If an external DI fixes it, that is NOT the problem.

SOME 4PRO, probably very early, MIGHT have had a non- transformer output, in which case a DI external will fix it. I don't have a schematic handy which shows that, and I may be recalling the wrong unit.

11. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Okay, in my case the amp is an SLM USA built 4 Pro, built in St. Louis. I am unsure of the date of manufacture, but I am the original owner. I bought the amp new from a dealer in CA AFTER Ampeg moved to Vietnam.

I was told my amp could be from around 2004. The serial number is EABD8A0112, if that helps date it.

Like I was saying before, an external D.I. Box solves the issue, which you say rules out the "twisted transformers" option and leaves only induced hum as an option.

I have tried running it with/without the other rack gear. I have used it in a variety of venues with all different types of PA's. The issue has always been there from day one, and since it's such a common thing I have a hard time believing that there is not a fault in the design somewhere . . .

Thanks,

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Guest Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Obviously, there is. Pinning it down is the problem. Try using an XLR with the cable shield not connected to pin 1 or the shell at the amp (send) end, with only pins 2 & 3 connected to the conductors.

13. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Yah... but pin 1 is NOT SUPPOSED TO BE CONNECTED ANYWHERE in the unit............

So opening it had better not make any difference.

If it does, that would be interesting.

I'm Ok with everything up to the part where "the external DI fixes it".........

I'll have to check with others who may recall the specific deal.

14. Amren

Amren Guest

Has there ever been a solution for the hum problem?

Basically all the XLR DI outputs hum. All the 1/4" DI outputs are clean, but you need a DI box to make it XLR tho.

15. Flippin' Guitars

Flippin' Guitars

Jun 16, 2014
    So I have the same exact problem in my shop. Kid used it at a gig and the sound guy got the hum from the balanced outputs. Hooke it here, amp only and had the hum. The only thing not mentioned is that it has the hum with the amp off, like a ground short somewhere. unplugged the cable to the transformer board on the side of the chassis and it went away. Betting on a transformer being bad but I'm not an electrical type. Checking into a replacement board.

16. Ricardo Varrenti

Ricardo Varrenti Guest

Feb 10, 2015
    Hi, the ground loop is for ground chassis to ground wall, basically is a bad design from ampeg in this model because used jump between signal ground to chassis. I suggest use 1/4" out to DI.

17. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Wow! this thread is 6 years old and I just got your answer! lol,

I sold that amp back in 2009 and never bought another one. Now using SansAmp technology direct into a PA power amp driving a Berg NV610

18. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    Don't want to bump this old thread but I had the same problem with the same amp. My solution was to rund XLR to a DI box. That took away the hum. Is this ok to do. Should I do 1/4" out to a DI box? I didn't want to start a new thread with the same issue.

19. No problem, either way.