Carlo Robelli Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GKon, Mar 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    Hi all,

It's about time my beloved Carlo Robelli's had a club of their own.
    (Mod's: I did a search and found none. If I'm mistaken, my apologies).

I don't know if this will be the smallest club on TB or not, but after reading how some others had love of the Carlo Robelli basses in an old posting that was recently resurrected, I decided it was time to have our own club.

Say it loud and say it proud! :bassist:

If you would like to join, please, at the very least, share some info and input about your beloved Carlo Robelli(s). Pictures would also be great to see.

I know that they are not for everybody, so please don't make this a "bash on Carlo Robelli" thread. Thanks!

My Carlo Robelli story:

After a looooong hiatus from playing with bands, in 2005 I was asked to play bass for a friends band. At the time, all I had was an AEB, having sold off all of my other gear.

I stopped into Sam Ash to see what they had, and I saw this hanging on the wall:

[​IMG][/IMG]

It was love at first site. It was the last one they had in the shop. It was missing one of the knobs, and, never having heard of Carlo Robelli before, seeing the low price (if I remember correctly it was $180 on sale) and finding out it was the store brand, I didn't expect much. I reluctantly asked to take it off the wall for a test drive, and I was VERY surprised at how good it felt and sounded. Without a second thought, I bought it.
    It has been my main bass ever since. Well, sort of. (I'll get to that in a minute).

A few months later, I went back to Sam Ash to see what was new, and I saw this:

[​IMG][/IMG]

It was my first time ever seeing an 8 string bass. And, loving hot rods etc. (given the flames on the other bass), I loved the heavy, metal flake on this one. I plugged it into a bass pod and must have sat there for 2 hours, getting lost in the sound. It is a heavy bass, and it took some getting used to holding it and playing double strings, but I loved it. I bought it immediately.

When I wasn't playing the 4 string CB, I was playing the 8 string.
    I would use both when playing with my band and jamming with other.

They both have what seems to be, the same active electronics. They are damn good! Sound loud, crisp, punchy with a lot of variation in the tones for low, mid and high. It took me a long time of setting up my tone to get a sound I like out of a bridge only pickup.

In 2009, I decided to move to Greece (Athens). In an attempt to "lighten my load", I sold off a bunch of stuff, including my 2 CB's. Once I got here, I immediately regretted it.

After some searching on the U.S. for sale sites, I found another of the 4 string, and, here on TB, another 8 string for sale. I bought both and had them shipped out to Greece. That's how good these basses have been for me.

I've since added red, Aurora strings to the 4 string (they sound and feel GREAT) with red dice as the control knobs (actual dice from Las Vegas), and adhesive fret markers to the 8 string, keeping with the hot rod theme.

I've considered swapping out the pickups for either an EMG or a Seymour Duncan, but I don't know if it's necessary. Does anyone know anything specific about the stock pickups in these and why they went for a bridge only placement?

I now still use the 4 string as my main gigging bass, as well as the 8 string. When some people immediately just assume they are crap, I realize that they have no clue what they are talking about.

I'm not saying that there haven't been any bad Carlo Robelli's made, but what are the chances that I've had 4 (two each of the same model), that had no problems and sound great?

Just sayin' ;)

Ok, so does this make me club member #1?
    Any others want to join, or will it just be me and the tumbleweeds?

2. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Livingston, MT
    :\

3. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Alpine, TX
    I own the Carlo Robelli USB6... something...something....darkside. Im trying to sell it though. I have no way to judge their quality because I bought mine second for $300 and the active box in back was melted... literally melted and chared. Worked ok as a passive bass i guess. I found the neck toonwide for me to play without getting hand pains. I would like to find another one at some point in a 4 or 5 and give it another wurl.

Ill say tbis about them too. I rolled my truck down a hill recently and a lot of my gear was destroyed. The carlo robelli had one tuner rip a screw out, took a gash on the side of the neck at the 12th fret, and the truss rods got loose but outskde of that it was in okay shape. My Ibanez Iceman was broke in half so i think CR won.

[​IMG]

4. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    :)

5. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    Wow, that sucks about the accident. But, let's hear it for the sturdiness of the Carlo Robelli!

Would you like a club number?

I've decided that I'd like to posthumously award Club Member #1 to Mr. Robelli himself. :cool:

So that would make me Club Member #2 and you Club Member #3. Let me know so that I can mail out all the new member info ;)

6. Boom762

Oct 19, 2013
    Alpine, TX
    Sure.

7. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    Great!

Ok then, it's official! :hyper:

Mr. Carlo Robelli: #1
    Gkon: #2
    Boom762: #3

Dang, I hope I don't run out of membership numbers too quickly!!

Do you think it's too soon to add my membership # as part of my signature??

Honestly speaking, I would like to hear from more folks about their good CB experiences.

Don't be shy.

8. Boom762

Oct 19, 2013
    Alpine, TX
    Theres a way you can have it in your profile but i havent looked into how tonset it up. I think carlo robelli bases are fairly rare in the U.S. as I have onky ever seen mine. Ive seen one acoustic guitar but thts it

9. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    If you go to your signature settings, it can be posted there. I was sort of kidding :)

As far as I know they were only sold through Sam Ash, because it was their house brand, so I don't know that you'd find too many outside of the U.S.

10. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    My first ever bass was a Carlo Robeli Ric copy. This is @1981

11. JustForSport

JustForSport Guest

Nov 17, 2011
    Haven't seen many Carlo Robelli's, maybe 'cause I'm in Florida,
    but heard a good sounding 4 string on YouTube.
    Those are some nice ones posted so far.
    Here's a few px of the fretless I picked up and re-finished- sculpted just a bit for fingerboard access, also.
    Currently have Dean Markley NPS round-cores (4 string set) tuned to BEAD- gives that Lower End, more excursion, and plenty 'mwah'.
    This would be the first club if I get a number- thanks for starting this.

Attached Files:

12. JustForSport

JustForSport Guest

Nov 17, 2011
    One more:

Attached Files:

13. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM

Any pics? Any comments about it?
    Would you like a member number???? :D

14. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    Hiya JustForSport!

I'm glad you're happy about the club! I realized that I love my Carlo Robellis. They have always done the job, feel great, sound great, in my opinion look great, so why not have a club???

I really like the look of your fretless! Do you mind sharing when you got it and for how much? Just out of curiosity.

Are those the stock pickups? Both of mine have the same, soapbar, bridge position pickups, that's why I ask.

Is it active? I'm assuming so.

The headstock on yours seems to be the same shape as my 8-string's.

I'm glad to know that there are others out there that enjoy these basses and look beyond name brands as the only alternative.

As I'm waiting back for a response from EricMordus, I'll list you
    as official Carlo Robelli Club Member #4! Welcome! :hyper:

15. JustForSport

JustForSport Guest

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks-
    yes, they're the stock dual-coils: passive- vol/vol/tone.
    Think I was lucky enough to pick it up for $100 about a year ago, then time, etc to re-finish.
    It's only 7.4#, and the only 4 string currently.
    I tossed the idea of changing to active split-coils, like EMG 40P, w/preamp, but the avail tones have kept me from changing anything but the strings so far.

16. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    Thanks for the info.

I was considering swapping out my pickups for something else (mine are active), because it sounded so twangy all the time, because of the location of the pickup.

I then realized that I just had to mess with it and dial in the tone I want. I also installed a slightly heavier gauge G string (it twanged the most). It now sounds full, rounded and punchy, just like I want.

Well, let's see if anyone else is gonna going the rockin' club!

17. Freakman410

Freakman410 Guest

Mar 21, 2014
    Just bought a Carlo Robelli 5 string yesterday after playing it a few weeks ago ( they had a "big sale" ) - I'm pretty impressed for such as it is. It's in good shape generally and sounds great after some neck and action tweaking. I have no idea of a model number since it was used but it's the thin body style quilt top dual humbucker. :ninja:

18. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    Hi Freakman410! Welcome!!! You have joined the illustrious ranks of the few and the proud and are officially #5 in the club! :bassist:
    I say nay to the naysayers! (Is that a double negative?).

Congrats on the good score! I love it when a "cheap" bass ends up being worth it, after a minimum of setup and effort.

So, do you mind if I ask where you're located? How much did you pay for it? Active electronics or passive? And, the age old questions, any pics? It would be great to actually see it.

Thanks!

Kon

19. Freakman410

Freakman410 Guest

Mar 21, 2014
    I'm located in Carterville, IL ( very southern IL ), I paid $149+ tax, passive pickups, and I'm cussing as to why I cant get the pics on here.......

20. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    Wow, I passed near/through Carterville many moons ago, on one of my several cross-country motorcycle trips!

Thanks for the info! $149!! Can't beat that for a good playing bass! Seriously, I love hearing stuff like this.

So far, it seems that I'm the only one with active electronics (on both of my Robellis).

As far as pics go, don't quote me on this but, if you're not a supporting member, I'm not sure if you can embed them in the post. You have to click on the "advanced" button near the "submit post" button, and then click on the link to allow you to upload photos. I may be wrong, though :bag: