Chorus pedal... need recommendations

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phayes1007, Jan 12, 2015.

1. phayes1007

phayes1007

Apr 19, 2011
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to expand my pedalboard in the near future. It's not much of a pedalboard at the moment--my only stompboxes currently are a Tech 21 SamsAmp BBDI and a Fulltone GT-500 O.D./Boost/Distortion pedal. My rig at home is a GK 700 rb-ii and a Carvin BR 4x10 cab, and at the rehearsal studio I use an Eden WT-800 + 2 Eden 4x10's in parallel.

Anyways, I'm looking to put together a nice, solid pedalboard in a more-or-less "organized" way. I'm only focusing right now on effects I know I absolutely want to become a major part of my sound. First on that list is Chorus. Probably my favorite of all bass and guitar effects if I had to chose. And there's quite a range of options/specifications when it comes to those types of pedals from what I understand: analog, digital or hybrid; mono or stereo chorus; etc. I am not sure how I'd like to run mine in the signal chain, and whether the stereo output would even be desireable for me, but I'd be willing to spend a little extra on a really outstanding one, preferably one that offers a fair degree of flexibility in its features. I also realize that plenty of chorus pedals function also as flangers, phasers, and/or other types of effects and don't strictly fall into one category. I'm not excluding these by any means though. Any recommendations from all you effects junkies would be greatly appreciated. I realize it's all subjective, but it is definitely worth something to me if you love it enough to recommend it. I'm in no rush and plan on checking out everything

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Tech 21 Boost Chorus Bass

And, I have be boring and also suggest you do a search here, there's lots of threads discussing chorus pedals, lots to read.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  3. phayes1007

phayes1007

Apr 19, 2011
    No worries, I probably should've been a little more specific about the type of chorus pedal I'm looking for. Thanks for the recommendation, though. I've read great things about the Tech 21 so far. I'll go through the archives and do some more research.

4. So many options out there... As for me, I've gone back to the MXR Stereo Chorus. Still wondering why I sold my first unit. Big, yellow and 18v, but man it makes me sound so good. Very tweakable and the filter switch reduces the effect on the low frequencies, so low end is well preserved.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

TC Corona Chorus is fantastic and the Toneprint feature is incredible. TC Electronic pedals can also accept up to line level input, so unlike other pedals they handle high output basses with ease.

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a good affordable chorus pedal, check out the danelectro cool cat cc-1 chorus pedal. this pedal is made for guitar, but it works really well on bass. especially since it contains a mix control. if money is no option, check out the digitech hardwire cr-7 stereo chorus. I heard this pedal sounds phenomenal on bass.

7. Dilbert

Dilbert Guest

Nov 20, 2012
    Northampton, U.K
    Cheap : Boss CEB-3 (I've owned one of these for a few years, gets the job done I guess)

Not cheap : Moogerfooger MF 108 Cluster Flux ( Demo'd one a week or two ago and holy poopie!!!!!!!!!! Will be purchasing one at the end of the month ;) )

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Analogman Clone Chorus with deep mod.

9. Bass4LifeRS

Bass4LifeRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Like it too but didnt until I uploaded a bassist type toneprint. Currently using the Nathan East.

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. kristdelgado

kristdelgado Guest

Apr 23, 2011
    These are MY pedals. I use them all the time. Great sound. Fantastic!
    Check my profile photo, here's the answer!

11. Bass4LifeRS

Bass4LifeRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Been thinking about a mini Flanger too yeah.

12. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    Yup, Analogman Mini Chorus with deep mod and blend knob!

13. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

I tried the Boss CEB3, didn't like it.

just got the MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe and love it a lot! got the sound I wanted really quickly. It has a low filter that preserves the dry signal really well. It also has a Flanger button,a really great feature as I rarely use a Flanger but like to have the option. It comes in a sparkley green colour too, a BIG selling point lol

14. I think this was said already, but the Tech-21 Boost chorus. It works very well for me.

15. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    +1 for Moog ClusterFlux.

BUT - If that's out of your budget, the Moog Minifooger chorus will be out soon, and is probably worth the wait if it follows suit of its big brother and mini siblings. Stereo in and out, analog awesomeness. Will certainly be good for bass!

16. Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble. Very useable and can go from very subtle effects to all out crazy space noises if you want it to. The low and high pass filters are really useful as well. I bought mine on a whim a couple of years ago and haven't looked at another chorus pedal since.

17. Titania

Titania

Aug 17, 2012
    Shirley, MA
    I love chorus, and I have several. My absolute favorite is the Earthquaker Devices Sea Machine. It's the most versatile chorus I've got. With so many ways to adjust, you'll need to spend a bit of time with it to find a sound you like. It can get really weird, and it can do subtle. All in how you set it. 2nd favorite would be the MXR bass chorus deluxe. It's not anywhere near as versatile as the Sea Machine, but it offers up a good solid chorus (and flanger) sound and it's relatively inexpensive. Next up would be the Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus. More flexible than the MXR, but it's it's bigger and you can get very similar sounds out of the MXR. Not as versatile as the Sea Machine, but it's another really solid choice. I have the Mooer Ensemble King, too. It's good if you need the real estate, but otherwise, I'd pick one of the previous 3 over the Mooer. Let's see....I also have the EHX Epitome, which features the Electric Mistress. It's a chorus/flanger along with other things. It's good, but can get weird, especially with the flanger engaged. Still, a great, useful pedal.