Club Stambaugh - Show your Stammies!! [Part 6]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. I'm not worried. It's more about ordering the Strat. A general rule of thumb is not to have 2 guitars on order from one builder at a time. I generally cave in when it comes to rules about gear. ;)

2. I wonder if it's a Stellartone of some kind. I have one in a guitar and it's pretty impressive. I believe Chris is working on a tone knob with 2 caps, which was one thing we talked about on my semi-hollow guitar. I was thinking a regular tone knob and a Stellartone, but the 2 cap knob should be adequate.

Did someone here own your bass previously? I wasn't sure if it was new or not. It looked familiar.

3. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

Not to my knowledge although I did get it from a member here who only had it for a day.

Do the basses all use the same truss rod tool for adjustment I'm having a heck of it I'm trying to figure out what size. I've tried metric an american maybe it's something weird

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    This guitar was done with Vol/Vol/Tone with a three position switch to go between different cap values for the tone control.

bomPic5_35.jpg

We were going to go that way with my fretted hollowbody bass but I opted for one of the new six position Tonestylers instead.

5. 134-controls.jpg

I'm hoping to do something similar to this but with 1 tone and the addition of MIDI. I don't envy Chris when it comes to wiring this beast. I was also going with this shape, but with 2 humbuckers. I like a longer top horn and this shape would seem to have more room for the electronics.

37.jpg

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    That 6 string was built for me originally, many, many years ago. I can't remember any longer what the original preamp was. Great bass. Enjoy it!

7. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Do you have the line to that old pic on his Gallery?

Do you have the link to the pic you have in the Stambaugh gallery? just curious cause I could not find it.

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I never put it in the online gallery because I could never figure out which (if any) TB'er it belonged to. But here's the picture:

Attached Files:

9. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Thanks for the upload. I am curious if he made all of his earlier bass without the curve on the top body for your arm to rest. That is one part I really miss.

10. Ah, looks much more familiar when the bass is pointed that way.

11. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    That is interesting! I was curious how old this was as I don't see a sn anyplace? would you say 15 -20 years old?

12. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I have a Stambaugh bass from that same period, the serial number is stamped into the back of the headstock, its very faint and hard to see unless you get it in the right light. I'm also in Minnesota, I take my stuff to Ted Vig of Vig guitars in St.Paul, he's on Snelling just north of University ave. Ted is the best, and very fair prices.

13. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    That's some great info! Thanks!

14. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I don't know if this has changed since his early days but what's always been stamped on my Stambaughs has been the born on date.

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    That could be what it is, I guess that suffices as a serial number. I don't recall finding any other numbers written or stamped anywhere else. I did just find the info on my old Stambaugh 5 and it does appear to be a date stamp.

16. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Did he ever put out bass without a serial number or any identification when he was first starting out I can't seem to find one, And I don't want to take the neck off to look for it.I can accept the fact if it just does not have one. It's still quite a stunning looking bass

17. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I'm still looking for the right size truss rod for this beast seems kind of odd I've tried American and metric neither one seems to fit perfectly

18. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, I had my first Stambaughs for a few years before I realized that was what the stamp was. :bored:

He certainly might have. Or maybe back then he stamped the neck pocket as that's a traditional place for serial numbers etc. Hard to say and no real visual cues to date it. Either Chris or Andy (emjazz) would probably be the only ones to give an approximate date on that bass.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I believe that one was built 14/15 years ago. Happy to see it again! I had bought that top wood myself on ebay from a wood seller. I've never seen a piece quite like it again. I think Chris called it the map bass, as the top looks a bit like a map. Beautiful piece of wood. Truly one of a kind. Happy to see it's getting some love!

20. LOL, I was almost ashamed to admit that I thought that bass had a bit of a pirate map look to it.

emjazz likes this.