Decent low budget USB interface?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by squishyH, Dec 26, 2012.

1. squishyH

squishyH

Nov 2, 2009
    I'm looking for a way to get recordings through my laptop. I'm not talking studio quality here, just something better than putting a cheap mic in front of the amp. On my old desktop I plugged into the line in socket and that was just about good enough for messing around, but this laptop doesn't have a line in.

I've tried a Behringer UCG102 but that was a disaster. On my Win7 64bit laptop I simply could not get any of the drivers to work (yes, I downloaded the right ones from behringer's website), the only sound I could get through it was by telling it not to use the behringer drivers and use "USB audio codec", and that came with a full second or so of latency in audacity :scowl:.

I'd really like to spend less than £50, I'm not looking for high quality here, just something that works. Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks for your time :)

2. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I don't have experience with that particular interface, but the ones with RCA inputs seem to work well with Windows 7, both with Asio4All and Behringer drivers. There sometimes seems to be noise with Asio4All that's not present with the official drivers, although that behaviour doesn't seem to be consistent. There isn't much else in your price range so it's worth having another go with the Behringer.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
  4. What can you get used in your country?

5. MrChrizmo

MrChrizmo Guest

Mar 31, 2012
    Vienna, Austria
    I have this one

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/steinberg-ci1-advanced-integration-usb-studio

and am very happy with it, I use reaper as software, but there is a Steinberg Cd with software included,

when I first got it I used Wavelab from the CD to record, which worked fine too.

The first few recording attempts with the rockband I play in, we mic'ed everything, put it into a mixer and used the left and right output from it to go into the interface and recorded live, worked fine too, although of course you can't fine-tune anything that way,

edit: I too have Win7 64bit, works fine.

6. For just "recording" ideas...

I'm a fan of starting with USB mixers...

Why? Most people never really go full tilt into recording.... You can use one of these on a gig... Or headphone practice amp

7. ejmy

ejmy

Nov 30, 2008
    I have a M Audio fast track and the quality of the recording is amazing. I have recorded bass tracks for 4 albums so far without any problems. The software in the package include it's own Asio driver so you don't need Asio4all. Just tried yesterday on my son's laptop and it worked perfectly.

8. ART Dual USB Pre?

9. i have that behringer ugc for 20$ its works and thats all i'd ask from it!
    just give it a shot on another computer to check if your piece might be broken or something, with my macbook i just plug it in and the daw asks me if want to use it, click yes and boom! no latency no crap just clean sound

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Anyone have experience with the Focusrite Sapphire or a Presonus model? I am in the market for one around $200 range. My bass amp has a really hot DI so I need decent headroom in the front end (which was why I sold my UX2).

11. basskidd

basskidd Guest

Jul 25, 2011
    Chicago
    I'm in the market for something similar, but decided to go with the USB Mixer instead. Was looking at this one (once I save up the $$$... :p ): http://www.mackie.com/products/402vlz3/index.html
    Not sure what you can get your hands on in the UK though, nor how the price compares to what you're looking for right now haha

12. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Presonus Audiobox USB has the worst drivers I've dealt with. Can't speak for others though...

Edit: When dealing with Windows. In OS X and Linux it has worked just fine. Too bad all operating systems suck balls.

13. squishyH

squishyH

Nov 2, 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I suspect my UCG102 was faulty (couldn't get anything through the headphone socket) so I've sent it back for a replacement.

If the replacement has the same issues I'll look further into some of the things suggested here.

14. squishyH

squishyH

Nov 2, 2009
    So this UCG102 works slightly better than the last one.
    I say slightly because though I can actually get a sound through it, it's still got what feels like half a second of latency (unplayable certainly) and the 64bit drivers from Behringer's website still refuse to install at all.

I think I'll return it and look at something else.

15. tdf_xi

tdf_xi Guest

Nov 8, 2012
    USA, MA
    I found that UCG102 (I got mine a few years ago) works quite well with ASIO4ALL, couldn't really get it to work with the official drivers if I remember correctly.

16. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have a Tascam US-122 that works very well.

17. mandohack

mandohack

May 6, 2011
    MI, USA
  18. squishyH

squishyH

Nov 2, 2009
    Finally some success.

While I can't get Behringer's ASIO driver to install at all, ASIO4ALL is now working. I've downloaded Guitar Rig 5 and that in combination with ASIO4ALL finally gives me audio with little enough latency to be useful. The software that came with it (NI AC combo or something) barely works at all still, I suspect it's too old and running it in compatibility mode doesn't give me any audio from it at all.

So I think I'll be keeping it, it seems (now I've got it to work) that I'll be paying a lot more for anything better. Maybe in the future if/when I feel I've outgrown this.

Thanks for the help :)