DI Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mhandley16, Feb 8, 2013.

1. mhandley16

mhandley16

Jan 27, 2013
    Hey guys I had a question about using my MXR M80.

First of all let me describe the situation. At my last gig, the sound guy used their own DI box. Basically I plugged my bass into the DI box and then he used a small patch cable to plug into my amp, then the XLR went out the back, into his PA, etc. This used still used the tone of my amp and I was still getting cabinet sound on stage obviously.

Now, if I use my DI on my M80, will the PA system still get any tone from my amp? Or will I only get my amp's tone through the cabinet behind me?

I'm asking because I really like the tone on my amp and think the M80 really adds something to it. But if I use the DI on the M80 and that completely bypasses my amps sound, I wouldn't want to use the DI output on my M80 but use the DI on my amp correct? I'm new to the whole pedal thing so any of your thoughts and experiences help. Thanks!!

- Mike

2. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Plugging the DI to the mxr bass di + will only take signal from that pedal and anything running into it. So no your amp won't be put through the pa and will just be heard by you. Why don't you plug the pedal into the amp (bass-pedal-amp) and take the DI signal from the amp which is giving you the amp and the pedals sound going to the PA I did that before

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What Matt said. However, just remember that huge PA speakers act differently than your bass rig. So, be prepared to work with the sound guy if he tells you you are too boomy, or too thin, or whatever is making his job hard sitting you in the FOH mix. In other words, go for "your tone" as long as it sits well in the overall mix. If your tone doesn't sit in the mix, then it is doing more harm than good.

4. mhandley16

mhandley16

Jan 27, 2013
    That's what I was planning on doing anyway and that's what I figured. Just didn't know what difference the sound guy's DI box made and if the M80 would do something similar.

5. If I'm understanding you correctly, you are trying to capture the tone that your amp gives your bass and send it to FOH... Right? If my assumption is correct, running the thru output on a DI to your amp doesn't accomplish that, my friend. It just gives your amp signal.

6. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    the soundman might have a $2-300.00 high quality Di that he prefers.
    built in Di's on amps are usually cheap and noisey, the Di on the M80 might be a cheap circuit as well (don't know).
    also, the soundman usually prefers a non-coloured signal because it's easier to work with.
    when you tailor the M80 for what you like coming out of your amp, that same tone might be horrid coming out of a PA.
    the best situation is a Di and a mic on your cabinet.

7. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    From what you describe in the original post you were NOT sending any tone from your amp to the PA. To do that the sound guy needs to take the XLR from the back of your amp (if it has one) or use a DI that can go in between the speaker out of your amp and the speaker in of your cab. Or he can just mic your cab.

I used to worry about this all a lot. I worry less now, but when I have my preference I like the sound guy to mic my cab and use that.

-JV

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to blastjv. The situation described in the op suggests bass into DI, and then DI to house/amp. This is no different than using the MXR DI instead of the house Di. Either case, it's a direct signal to PA, and your amp is not involved.

9. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Also worth adding that if you have a DI on the back of your amp, you also need to check if it is pre or post eq (and many allow you to select which to use). Only post will add the tone from your amp.