EMGs high output, is this normal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Aug 21, 2014.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Coeur D'Alene,Idaho
    I just installed a set of EMG J5 pickups and a BTS system in a Bass. I have two J basses with nordies and sadowsky pre amp and one with fender pickups and aguilar preamps. When I compare the output of the EMG bass to my other basses the EMG bass is ridiculously loud. If I have it at 1/4 on the master vol, that's about where the other basses are on full. Is this normal?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Yes.

3. JustForSport

JustForSport Guest

Nov 17, 2011
    The 40DC's are really strong, too.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Very normal.

5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist Istanbul...not Constantinople Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Tejas
    Awesome isn't it???? :bassist:

With how sensitive and clear they are, you can play with much more articulation and won't get tired as fast since you don't have to dig in as much to get response from the pickups. Give it a few days or a week, your playing should adapt if this is your main bass. Really cleaned up my playing and gave me more stamina for fast licks.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    is this with the EQs flat on all these?

i've always found EMG J pickups to not be especially loud compared to regular passive J pickups, but right in line with them.

Jamie_Funk likes this.
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Any Jazz-bass bridge pickup is limited in output by the limited string excursion near the bridge. That said, the JA and JCS do have rather low output for an EMG. On their website you can compare the output of their pickups in millivolts by pulling up the installation pdf's of the pickups you want to compare.