Favorite female musicians where looks don't matter?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shovel

Shovel Guest

Jun 4, 2013
    Massachusetts.
    Aimee Mann. I dislike til tuesday, the but man, the Young Snakes were good.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  2. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, we need to hang out. This is the sort of list I would come up with. If there is one single band I am truly fanatical about, it's Epica. I can never get enough of Simone's voice.

3. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    Roberta Flack

bigdaddybass12 likes this.
  4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Gillian Welch and Lucinda Williams.

47th Street likes this.
  5. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    me too man-
    I forgot about her.

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Cindy Blackman - she's a drummer and a half, and I don't have a clear idea of what she looks like.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  7. Stripes

Stripes Guest

Sep 14, 2014
    You should look into after forever ( floor her previous band) and Delain. They where a side project but transformed into a kick ass band with guest vocals by Marco from Nightwish on a couple of songs.

Within Temptation is great as well, going to see them again with my dad in March I believe.

8. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    In my view, appearence is always immaterial to this question: Layla Haylthaway, Esperanza Spalding, Sister Rosetta Sharp, Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday, Big Momma Thorton, Lauryn Hill

9. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Este Haim (See pics)

Attached Files:

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Now THOSE are bass faces!

11. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Humankind: be both. Inactive

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    fitzgerald.jpg ida mcbeth.jpg IMO...Ella Fitzgerald remains the greatest voice that America has ever given birth to. Ida McBeth is a national treasure who lives and works in Kansas City, 3487ba46176a07e5b29cfad1bb863732_lg.jpg I've been stunned, time after time, by Bonnie Raitt (My friend, Paul, and I used to hitch hike into Poughkeepsie to hear (and, yes, SEE her) at Frivolous 730c5d0c2af18395c86f10a7f0a6dbe4.jpg Sal's Last Chance Saloon. We got past the cover charge by volunteering to help break down at the end of the night...). I have loved Emmy Lou Harris for almost 40 years, now. Still, the best singer to come out of her genre. 6rcd6rd67.png Got to hear...and yes, SEE, Suzy Bogguss two years ago. I was reminded why, as a morning man in my former life, I was the first to play anything she sent to the station! 75d5ebcea22211e394c10a3f3d7f336c_6.jpg I think that The Carolina Chocolate Drops have power enough to rescue American music from itself.
    I suppose I could go on and on...Lena Horne...Joni Mitchell...Linda Ronstadt...Janis Joplin...Chrissie Hynde...Etta James...Wanda Jackson! I've had fun piecing this together. Thanks for sticking with me.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  12. Well, this thread shows some growth among you fellas. But you're still using terms like "chick" and "girl" instead of woman (yes it does matter) and sexual attraction and desire still manages to seep into your comments. It's Talk Bass, just that Bass. So how about, "I heard so-and-so play at/on xxx and she sounded amazing" Boom, done. The rules are simple, when you talk about a female bassist, don't say anything you wouldn't say about a male bassist.
    Personally, I think Will Lee is hot (and I've actually met him a few times) but I would never mention that if I was talking about him or his playing. (and trust, he is tall, very handsome, and a sweetheart of a guy) but that would have absolutely nothing to do with and have no place here. And you guys would find it just as stupid and inane as your comments about female bassists sound to women.

13. hrodbert696

I know you were chiming in on the other female bassist thread. I'd just point out that I started this thread in 2013 and that one was started in 2016, so I don't know if there's a story of "growth" here - just different personalities. But the moderation team (which I was not a member of in 2013) is alert to making TB a welcoming place for everyone, and that's probably become a more conscious policy over the last few years.

14. I grew up with radio, not knowing what any bands looked like, and my first favorite rock musician/singer was Joan Jett. Not because of what or who she was. I had no idea what she looked like and as a kid, I certainly had never heard about The Runaways. I only knew that "I Love Rock 'N Roll" was a badass-sounding song, and that she put a lot of guts into it. I just thought she was cool and sounded great. Still do. Of course I notice when a female is easy on the eyes, but it's a non-issue when I seek out music or musicians.

GregC likes this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If I were blind, I might have put the female singer from Rush into submission.

What? Geddie isn't a she? Sure sings high enough to be one.

Splash7 likes this.
  16. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    ^ hue hue hue

5StringBlues likes this.
  17. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    But this thread had been in the dust bin for 7 years before you resurrected it! Bad move. Now the guys will continue pointing out which female bass players are good in spite of being physically unattractive.:dead:

P7Michelle4st and Pacman like this.
  18. I did not know that the date mattered. I still think if moderators don't want threads bumped up they should put some kind of notice. "This thread is closed for comments" That's what other websites do. Just so I'm clear, what is the cut-off date to post without causing a "bump" problem?
    The threads I posted in popped up pretty easily. I searched "female bass players" which is pretty innocent I think. I can't help what thread pops up. And, if I open and read it, well, if there is a working reply button how am I to know NOT to post in that thread. Don't you think it should be the moderator's job to close the discussion rather than just leave it open? I mean, what do you suppose a female bass player would want to search for?

ThePez, skycruiser and hrodbert696 like this.
  19. hrodbert696

You're fine, staff has discussed this, and there's currently no policy to close a thread automatically just for being old. Sometimes there's a discussion that goes dead for a time but a person has good reason to revive it, like if one is discussing a playing technique and a new member has some fresh questions about how to use it, or if someone's a new fan of an artist and they find an older thread about that artist. It's a judgment call sometimes, but I don't see any faux pas in bumping an old thread most of the time. If someone's doing it to troll, or if it's a thread that should have stayed dead, that's another matter. The only thing I wanted to point out is that one shouldn't make time-dependent claims (like about "progress") without paying attention to the actual time stamps.

Also, an irritating little dysfunction of TB culture sometimes is that some people will carp about someone bumping an old thread, but then if you start a new thread there's always someone who will carp "this has been done, use the search function!" So I try to ignore those comments. It is sensible to use a search to figure out whether it's worth starting a new thread or bumping an old one.

Also, for the record, the premise to this thread was to discuss female bassists WITHOUT bringing looks into it, not to discuss female bassists men find UNattractive, which would still be a looks-based discussion. Taking it as the latter would be evidence we have NOT made much "progress."

Lobster11 and 5StringBlues like this.
  20. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    I was half way joking on my comment above. This was not "carping" about thread bumping. I find this conversation distasteful and never would have seen it if it hadn't been resurrected, but now that I know I can easily unsub and ignore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.