fEARful™ Part Twelve (12)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greenboy, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Break-in isn't the issue it is with Acmes. The woofers do benefit from some time on them, but the Acme case is a lot more drastic than practically any other case out there.

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Huntsville
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    When we had Sliderbass's brand new nEarful up here, it had never been played, and we noticed a significant improvement in the low in the first half an hour or so.

3. Personal opinion, but if I were you, I think I would yard that cab out to the back porch before I hit it with a kilowatt. Otherwise, your speaker box may not be the only cabinet construction you need to worry about.......
    :bag:

4. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    :eek: Thanks for the warning! Everything on the ground floor of the house vibrates as it is with my Avatar B212 turned up just loud enough that you'd have to speak up loudly for me to hear you in the same room. This should be verrrrrry interesting: D

5. JimTMich

JimTMich Guest

May 31, 2011
    Local lumber yard has some 9 ply 1/2" void free plywood with the top and bottom layers being oak. Any thoughts on using this for a 15/6?

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Sounds heavy (oak).

7. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I got a little more done tonight. Small stuff but it all counts. :) Link in sig.

8. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    9-ply, void-free is what you want. Good stuff. I'd get it, especially if alternatives are scarce. I live in a big city, but unless you want to order a pallet, finding good 1/2" ply is tough. Lowes/Home Depot have all the 5-ply, full of void crap I could never want. But that's not what you need for a fEARful. Speakerhardware.com to the rescue for me.

9. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    It's just the outer veneers that are oak.

10. Sounds good, but it'd be a shame to Duratex it! <grin> I'm a woodworker at heart... Itching to do a fancy zebrawood veneer or something simlarly drastic to a cab.

11. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Hey fearful fans .... I'm finishing up a 12/6 and a 15/6
    I went to join the fearful forum but couldn't come up with the right answer to the cat
    question.

I'm old ... all I could think of was "topcat"

Is there more fearful build discussions here or on the fearful forum ?

Thanks

12. JimTMich

JimTMich Guest

May 31, 2011
    I hear you, I started drawing up some edging and details with oak 1x2 and varnishing to make it look more like furnature.....I calculated that I would add 16lbs.... thought process stopped there.

13. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    ok .... so I had to sing the challenge question to myself a couple times.
    got it.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

;)

15. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Just talking bout topcat !

16. Don't forget that any solid oak you add to the edging will remove an equal volume of ply, so the net weight difference will not be that significant. Also, your edging won't need to be 2 inches wide, it can be as small as say, 1/2" wide, just to provide that solid wood edge, thereby allowing your 1x2 oak to give you 3 (or 4) strips of oak for edging.

Also, the varnish won't be much different than the duratex in terms of weight.

17. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Anyone here buy a cover for their TO-SPEC 15/6?

I'm looking to buy a nice, padded cover for the 15/6 I'm building. It would be much easier to order from somewhere that has the template already, then to deal with measuring where the handles are and all that mess.

18. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Has anyone used t-nuts on the mid? I know that regular, coarse-threaded screws will hold just fine, but I like the idea of easy serviceability. I may have add/subtract stuffing in the midchamber; t-nuts would facilitate this.

19. JimTMich

JimTMich Guest

May 31, 2011
    Nice build log Mike!

20. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks, JimTMich! I enjoy reading the detailed build threads others have put up. They've been very helpful to me, so I'm trying to do the same now that I'm building one. Between the complete cutkits available and the many detailed build threads, there's never been a better time to build a fEARful. Well....maybe before the price of ND drivers went through the roof. ;)

Hopefully I can put up some pics of wood actually glued together tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.