Fender bass necks

Discussion in 'Ask Doug Johns' started by jrkuhn, Oct 20, 2011.

1. jrkuhn

jrkuhn Guest Commercial User

Jul 27, 2011
    BADOG Music, Manchester PA
    Store Owner, Jeffrey R. Kuhn
    Are jazz bass and precision necks interchangeable?

2. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    Yes.

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    yeaaaa!!! :hyper:

4. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Bass drops and breakdowns since 2009

Jul 8, 2011
    Southwest Florida
    For reference, many brands use the Fender standard for their bolt-on basses (given a 34" scale, of course). Within Fender itself, I believe most, if not all, 4-bolt necks are interchangeable.

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Squiers and mexicans Fenders are. USA Fenders not so much without redrilling the holes.

6. jrkuhn

jrkuhn Guest Commercial User

Jul 27, 2011
    BADOG Music, Manchester PA
    Store Owner, Jeffrey R. Kuhn
    Thanks folks... Helpful stuff. Now... After securing a neck and body I am finding that it never quite draws in tight. There's a little gap in the pocket about the size of a business card. Any thoughts on getting it drawn in. The neck is secure, sounds find, action is fine... But the gap still bugs me.

7. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    If nothing is wrong don't worry about the gap its rather common.

8. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    This one guy said to get a nice tight fit in the neck pocket, he uses a C clamp. I would imagine that you would put a block on either side to protect the Frets on the neck and the plate in the back.Don't go so tight on the clamp that you crack the body and the neck, and make sure the screws are loose so you don't strip the threads. Once you have closed the gap between the neck and the body, then tighten the screws. Do this at your own risk.