Fripp Tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by findtheonlyway, Sep 7, 2012.

1. findtheonlyway

findtheonlyway Guest

May 19, 2011
    I play in a prog band that tunes to Fripp (CGDA). I have been using this tuning on a '73 p-bass which is my only high quality bass, with my Ibanez SRX riding the bench. Unfortunately, as expected, this tuning has been a pain to deal with. Floppy strings, fret buzz, tone problems, etc. But the biggest, and most obnoxious problem I've had to face is intonation, specifically on the C string. No matter what I try, I absolutely cannot get this p-bass, which has perfect action and intonation in standard tuning, to intonate properly to Fripp. I'm a college student so a new, extended scale bass is not an option. I've considered different, perhaps thicker, strings but that's my only thought so far and I'm afraid to try because I'm not entirely sure it would help. Is there anyone else who plays with this tuning or something similar and if so is there a trick to perfecting my C-string intonation? (as a side note: I know how to set up basses, truss rod, saddles, the whole deal and I am familiar with the common cure for bad intonation of pressing down on the strings at the saddle.)

2. WaskoDS

WaskoDS

Nov 22, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    Yeah, you really need different strings, if you're actually attempting this with a standard gauge set.

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Use the thickest taper-core low B you can find. I use a Sadowsky black label flat at 0.130T for this tuning (and while it's cool you call it Fripp tuning, violincellos have been tuned like this for over 300 years, so let's not give Fripp credit for everything!).

TI jazz flats have a 0.136, but it's not a taper-core if I recall correctly. The taper core will seat the string lower in the saddle and hopefully will solve your problem (you're still a bit sharp, correct?).

4. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    I'm not sure of the guages but the bass side of a Chapman stick tunes like this. go to thier web site and see if they list guages.

5. J Posega

J Posega Cat Dad and Dingwall Enthusiast Inactive Suspended Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Portland, OR
    You can order single strings to make a fifths-tuning set from bassstringsonline.com

Sign up and mention that you're a TB member and you get a sweet discount and the best customer service in the string-retail world.

Check out this chart: http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf to see what string gauges tensions are like to your tuning, and you'll be able to get those strings as singles from BSO.

.125 .080 .055 .035 would give you a higher tension low end and a slightly lower tension high end. It'll be better balanced than a standard 4 string set from most companies.

6. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I played with a guy 12 years ago who was with "The House of Crafty Guitars" and trained under Fripp. He used that tuning and one guitar tuned to all 'As'. We did 95% prog. originals and I never changed from standard tuning. (Actually used similar Ibanez basses back then!) Have you had any luck with that?

7. +1

I use .128 .080 .055 .035 for CGDA. No issues with intonation or anything.

8. findtheonlyway

findtheonlyway Guest

May 19, 2011
    Thanks everyone! It seems like strings will do the trick. Tapered C string, custom set from bass strings online, and that's that.

9. findtheonlyway

findtheonlyway Guest

May 19, 2011
    I actually haven't tried that, but I really like having that low C to match my guitarist. Also, I already wrote most of the parts in Fripp, which may make it difficult to transpose :meh: