Has anyone ever used ring terminals to avoid soldering to the pot bodies?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Nov 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I intend on wiring up a bass like this soon:

JazzBassSeriesWiringDiagram.jpg

Only difference is, I'll be using MegOhm Audio taper pots.

Has anyone here ever gotten around soldering to the pot bodies by using ring terminals?

$(KGrHqVHJFQFC,yYbSsDBQpUn2n3u!~~60_35.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I do basically that, I just solder all grounds to a copper washer and run a single wire to the output jack.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

That's a pretty good idea. I was wondering what to do with the shielding wires, but that would be a great place to tack them to.

4. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    It does require fitting more wire in the control cavity usually and either heatshrink or a bundle of electric tape so it doesn't short on anything.

5. Killed_by_Death

Yeah, I was just sitting here thinking about how I was going to keep all those bare wires from rubbing against the actual connections. I have plenty of shrink tubing, so I should be able to work something out.
    Hopefully I won't get frustrated & just do it the old fashioned way.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  6. A member on another forum suggests them to all newbies. They are great, and really should be used more often.
    An Error Has Occurred!

kcole4001 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. My Bart NTMB used soldered lock washers instead of grounded cases.

8. NoBlackTShirts

NoBlackTShirts

Feb 23, 2010
    And there are some pots that are not particularly aimed at the guitar market, that you can't solder to. So you have to use rings.

9. Killed_by_Death

10. I often only just have enough threads to get a shakeproof washer under there anyway so a ring terminal often wouldn't work.

And really, when you can just lay a strip of copper tape down, trim the holes and solder an earth wire to this, or even solder all the earths to this in one go, I'm not sure it's really worth the trouble.

FWIW, I've never found a pot that I couldn't solder to. (Except for plastic ones of course!) And I'm guessing that the guitar ones probably have internal parts that have a higher temp rating or something. I've even seen pots that have a pre-tinned casing. But I still avoid it. It's slower, I have to rub the casings, then I have to crank my iron all the way up, or even use another big iron I have. And it's never really necessary, especially since you can buy copper tape so easily these days.

I guess if you were working on a vintage fender and it had to look just right, that's fine of course. Or with a hollow body guitar where it's impossible to earth the casings any other way...

11. Killed_by_Death

Considering the copper tape would also provide shielding, that might be a better option. I would think if it's thick enough to be soldered to, it would also cause a problem with getting the nut on at the other side, due to the thickness of the bushing.

12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I have used ring terminals plenty of times, take the plastic insulator off of it and solder directly to them

13. I recommend using copper tape for shielding, but bringing all grounds to a common ground point (such as the #1 terminal on the bridge volume control) then a single wire from that common ground point to the ground lug on the output jack. This eliminates ring terminals as well as the need to solder to pots. I think this is illustrated in the Jazz Shielding sticky. The copper tape does not become your ground, it's just shielding. Make sure the copper tape touches the output jack body so it's touching a ground. All circuit grounds go to your common ground point; this eliminates ground loop hums.

14. Killed_by_Death

I went out of my way to get these kind:

EP-4968-000.jpg

Now I wish I had just done it the easy way & got the cheapest 3/8" ones & taken off the insulator, LOL.

Growlmonkee likes this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

I checked out those illustrations, but I'm now wondering how I extend the shielding wires from the pickup leads all the way back to the output jack or tone pot.
    Right now they're just long enough to be soldered to the pots.

This might be the problem I'm having with my Fender Blacktop. The ground points are all over.

I can't think of how to get the shielding tape to touch the jack, since it's in a hole. All of my basses have the jack on the bottom of the body, not in the control plate.

16. In your illustration, solder the neck pickup exactly as you've drawn it. Solder the - from the bridge pickup to the #1 terminal on its volume pot (where you've drawn the ground going from the terminal to the pot body). Run a black wire from this same terminal to the ground leg of the tone cap on the tone control. Run another black wire from this same terminal to the - terminal of the output jack. These wires don't have to be very big, 22 gauge is quite adequate.

Note, I've corrected my earlier post where I originally mistakenly said to use the #2 terminal of the tone pot as ground, sorry about that. Use the #1 of the volume pot.

Okay, now all we have left to do is ground the shielding tape. Since the output jack is hard to reach in your case, we can use another approach. Run yet another wire from that same #1 terminal to the copper tape. T You can use a small ring terminal and wood screw (into the bass body) to connect that wire to the shielding tape

The reason the pots are soldered to ground on most production guitars and basses? Cost. It's cheaper and faster to solder a ground to the pot bodies than to shield the entire cavity with copper tape. The only purpose of the soldered connection to the pot bodies is so the pot case becomes shielding. Manufacturers then also use that solder point as a "tie point" but its primary purpose is shielding. If the cavity is properly shielded, there's no need to solder to the pot bodies. Note that when we run copper tape in the cavity, the pot body will typically contact the copper tape anyways, but that's not secure enough IMO to use as a circuit ground. Thus the use of a "star" ground so everything is soldered to a ground point.

edit: Oh, I didn't notice this was a Jazz! No need to run a wire to the copper shielding. Put copper shielding on the underside of the control plate so that it contacts the output jack body. When you put copper shielding tape in the control cavity, run some over the edge so that when you screw down the control plate, the plate will contact the cavity copper shielding tape

17. Killed_by_Death

It's Jazz wiring style, but it's not a Jazz, no control plate. I didn't make that drawing in the OP, but I intend on using that schematic design as a framework.

I'm still curious how I get the bare shielding wires from the pickups leads back to the central ground point.
    That's where I was planning to use the ring terminals and then just put them under the pot before sticking them in.

18. Killed_by_Death

This is what it looks like now. Same V/V/T configuration, but wired the old-fashioned way.

IMG_20151113_125942-TB.jpg

19. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I don't like to solder to the pot bodies as well. I use ring terminals and alike. I also use copper tape, connected to ground to shield the electronics.

Growlmonkee likes this.
  20. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee Guest

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    I use 1 ring terminal, a little extra ground wire, and shield control cavities, and I never solder anything to the casing of a pot, all grounds go to the copper shielding including a wire soldered to the cap lead. in most electronics, (not guitars and basses), soldering anything to the casing of a pot is a fail when a QC inspector sees it. (it isn't the best way to do the job), though it does work.