Help deciding on a lower powered tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Abrahampost, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    So I am selling a few cabinets locally and looking to pick up a mid to low powered tube amp. As of now I am looking at an ampeg v4b(both the reissue and a vintage model), an ebs t90, or a Mesa buster(not low
    Powered but one is for sale locally).

I hope to use the amp for practice and smaller gigs. I have a wt800 for bigger stages and places without pa support. As far as tone I am not too concerned with having a super clean tone, honestly I'd like it to have just a bit of tube saturation but not wooly. Right now the t90 is the front runner in my head since you don't see them everyday and the reviews seem good.

My current band's drummer isn't super loud and the guitarist is pretty reasonable, either plays a jc120 or an 18 watt tube amp so I do think a hundred watts will keep up.

I am open to other amps as well.... The max I want to spend is 1200 and I will be using it with a pair of bag end s15bd cabinets.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Fender 100T

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Most folks with the Buster say it's mostly a clean amp until you really crank it. I would second the Fender 100T if you can find a good deal in one, or an old Sunn 2000s or Bassman 135.

gsgbass likes this.
  4. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    I had a silverface bassman 100 and didn't love the fender tone stack. Is the new version different?

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The new version has a standard fender tone stack on the "vintage" channel and an "overdrive" channel with a modern style active eq.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

The Bassman 300 is also a low powered amplifier. :)

gsgbass and Abrahampost like this.
  7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I believe the passive side is, the active side isn't. You can make it sound like a silverface but overall I like the 100T's tone better. It has a ton more features that I really like.

8. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    Thanks for the quick responses. Does anyone have any experience with the ebs amp? In the limited info on the web it looks nice. I will definitely try out the fender 100t. I like the idea of playing it at 25 watts for recording

gsgbass likes this.
  9. You're just gonna have to go demo these amps. I don't care for Fenders; I have a V4B and it blows my skirt up. I like Mesa as a company and the Buster Bass is cool (though I am skeptical about it's power rating), but I'd still chose Ampeg between the two. Never heard the EBS.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Buster is a great amp. If the price is good I'd say go for it. Very cool fast/clean-ish amp with an awesome rock voicing. It's a bit bulky and heavy. The head is as wide as your typical guitar head (like 2').

11. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    A used Aguilar db359

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    still using my d180, grinding away

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Love my V4B with matching SVT212AV cab it is the most honest sounding amp I've heard just pure bass tone no frills no fuss and no coloring. If you like your amp with a ton of knobs and features then this amp is not what you want but if you want your amp to be plug and play I promise you won't be disappointed.

[​IMG]

TC.65 likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    New V4B rules IMHO. Sounds just like the old one I used to have and is 20 lbs. lighter.

SirMjac28, campbems and TC.65 like this.
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I would imagine it'd be really hard to beat the V4B. Simple and sweet. And from what I understand is great at the power rating it has. Plus it sounds stellar from what others say. I played one briefly in a GC. I dug it. But if I had to choose from the list, that would be the one. The V4B.

16. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    Vintage Sunn 200S

In vintage Fender, I'd take a Showman over a Bassman 100.

I own the right amp, but its twice your budget.
    The Reeves 225.

Quiet enough for small clubs, powerful enough for big venues.
    Richest most natural tone of any amp I've ever owned.
    Hand built in Ohio, mil spec turret board, IMHO, the finest bass amp on the market.

17. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    The reeves would be a dream come true but the price tag keeps it a dream. I am interested in the Aguilar db359 but I should specify my 1200 budget is for a new amp or a used tube amp including the tech service which takes it down a couple hundred.

18. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I tried an original V4B long ago through JBL 2X15 and was underwhelmed.
    It ran out of clean headroom after about 4 on the volume.

If it's not critical need for an amp right now, just hang in there and keep saving.

19. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Oct 18, 2008
    Connecticut

Do you find you have enough 'clean' volume for the average un-DI'd gig? By clean i mean not fuzzed out, a little bit o hair. I find myself favoring the Terror bass 500 and my 212 just due to the fact that I know I won't ever run out of juice if bass isn't run through the PA.

I do like the tone of my Bassman 100T more than my terror though.

20. I am Soma

I am Soma

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    another vote for fender 100t here