Help me choose strings!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wahoowah, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Wahoowah

Wahoowah Guest

Apr 2, 2014
    Hello everyone!

My bass is still in the mail (Ibanez short scale gsrm20) and I've read that the stock strings arent really good... so I'm thinking of getting some replacement strings while waiting..

I've shortlisted 4 strings and would appreciate if you guys can give some advice :) I'm looking for something that can hit a nice fat tone and also be decent for different playstyles..

I'm leaning towards La Bella but would like to hear if anyone has experience on the other strings..

Thanks!

1. La Bella Deep Talkin' Flat Wound - 4 String Set
    Type: Medium: .049 .069 .089 .109

2. D'Addario XL NICKEL ROUND WOUND - 4-String Set
    Type: EXL170S - Short Scale 45-100: .045 .065 .080 .100

3. D'Addario Chromes Flatwound - 4-String Set
    Type: ECB81S - Short Scale 45-100: .045 .065 .080 .100

4. D'Addario Black Nylon Tapewound - 4-String Set
    Type: ETB92S - Short Scale: .050 .065 .085 .105

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    For starters, the obvious question: Any particular reason why you selected these particular makes/models for your short list: two flatwound types, one roundwound, and one flatwound?

Do tell... :eyebrow:

MM

3. Rounds will get you a bright sound (alla Geddy Lee). Flats will get you a very deep bass oriented tone (alla James Jamerson). Tapes will be a bit of a mixture of the two. Rounds can last you a fair amount of time but the brightness will begone in a month. I would change strings about every 4 or 6 months when I used rounds. They are cheap. On the other hand, a good set of flats can last you years (some people claim a lifetime). Look at what music you want to play and your budget.

4. Wahoowah

Wahoowah Guest

Apr 2, 2014
    Thanks guys for the replies!

I chose these strings after looking through forum threads and online searches... No particular reason why -- they were mentioned by some people :)

I'm looking for a deep bassy sound and dont want to be constantly replacing/cleaning strings so I guess the flats would be a good choice?

Any opinion between La Bella Deep Talkin' Flat Wound and D'Addario Chromes Flatwound?

edit: okay i was looking thru baseliner's thread and will probably get the La Bella's :)

5. I'm using the super heavy set of La Bella flats as of now. I love them and know they could last me a long time. La Bella flats give you a more old school flat wound sound, like the stuff you would here in the 1960s. I have not tried Chromes, but I have heard they are more brighter than most flats.

6. Wahoowah

Wahoowah Guest

Apr 2, 2014
    Yup! I just ordered 2 sets of the La Bellas and a set of the roundwounds just in case ;)

7. Sell the ones you don't like here on talk bass.

8. Wahoowah

Wahoowah Guest

Apr 2, 2014
    Noted thanks!

9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    try out your stock strings first: you may luck out. Then, I recommend roundwounds for your first pair (if you are new to playing, anyway).

10. Wahoowah

Wahoowah Guest

Apr 2, 2014
    Good idea... I'll do that thanks!