How I made a Wenge neck into a Maple neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Drake Custom, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Really nice job! Looks great and Wilma says "hello"!

2. Drake Custom

Drake Custom Commercial User

Aug 24, 2010
    Iowa
    Builder/Owner:Drake Custom Bass Guitars
    MattZ, I would have made another bass and sold the original one but I had no idea how long it would take to sell the original bass so that I could afford to make another. My profit margin is still not very high. It grows every year but if I did not love the work, I would have quit years ago.

Basshappy, good to hear from you. I making another "Wilma" style bass at this time, but in 31 inch scale. You can see the pictures on the website. "Wilma" was the inspiration for the new bass. I have made some changes to the design with some improvements based on feedback you gave me.

3. Hey Andrew

Maybe you are making another "Wilma" style bass, but as we all know there can never be another Wilma! She's a great bass and reeks of inspiration of all types. Thanks for the kind words, but my feedback means little for a guy as talented as you are. I will certainly check it out though.

For those who may not know - this is Wilma - may god bless that naturally occurring pale area at her center. As you know - after a few tweaks she became a rare dream - in sight, aesthetics and playability.....

Wilma.png

Matthew_84 and blindrabbit like this.
  4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Good stuff.

And Wilma? Not my personal style, but, wow, she's a looker.

BassHappy likes this.