I am new here! (TECH QUESTION)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by illstaygold, Feb 11, 2014.

1. illstaygold

illstaygold Guest

Feb 11, 2014
    :bassist::help:

I wanted to first tell you my name is Anthony. I have been a bass addict for over a decade and a half now. Played in a bunch of bands, yada yada yada. ANYWAY...

I love 6 strings--always have. So I did some trading around and scored an Ibanez SR506. I picked the bass up from a trade deal I did through Sam Ash. Everything works pretty well for the most part. The ONLY thing I am noticing is that I have a balance knob that works when I turn it all the way to the right. Otherwise, if I turn it to the left, I literally get NOTHING. So, I can safely say that the front pup is not working at all. Would that be in the Ibanez EQB3S preamp or the pup itself do you think?

Any and all help is appreciated. Obviously I will be taking the bass back to my friends at Sam Ash so they can fix it, but my mind is curious.

Thanks all.
    A

2. Sounds like the pickup is shorted. That, or the blend pot's input for that pickup.

3. illstaygold

illstaygold Guest

Feb 11, 2014
    Thank you @line6man. Pretty invasive fix?

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    it's easy to fix either way, but it's either cheap (a wire or the pan pot) or expensive (the pickup itself).

5. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I recently had a similar problem with an Ibanez SRA.
    A quick reflow of the solder on each of the blend pot's terminals fixed it.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    You have something going to ground in your neck pickup. Its probably just a wire.

7. mrmills

mrmills Guest

Jun 22, 2009
    Kent, UK
    Sounds like a wiring problem from the pickup to the blend. If you want to check, open up the control cavity and check the wires coming from the pickup to the blend and making sure they are still attached.

Dry solder joints could easily be an issue too, it does depend.

Breaking a pickup takes some special skill :D

8. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    The fact that it only works when the bridge pickup is soloed, and that the signal is cut out when the neck pickup is introduced means that the signal is being taken to ground. Dry solder joints or loose connections won't cause those problems.

9. illstaygold

illstaygold Guest

Feb 11, 2014
    @hopkins so that means the pup is dead or completely missing a solder?

10. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx

If I had to guess, the positive wire, or something connected to the positive wire of the neck pickup is grounded out. Pickups very rarely fail.

11. illstaygold

illstaygold Guest

Feb 11, 2014
    Is it a tough solder job? @hopkins

12. illstaygold

illstaygold Guest

Feb 11, 2014
    Good news, Sam Ash ordered one brand new for me. So I don't come out of pocket at all. Pretty impressed.

13. JustForSport

JustForSport Guest

Nov 17, 2011
    Great news! That's the best to hear.
    I've only had one bad Ibanez pickup- was open circuit, (epoxy potted)
    in used bass (SRX705), and got it that way, so just replaced the pickup.
    Passive pickups are easy to check with a multi-meter, or just jumper it to the jack to see if it generates a signal or not.
    Then go from there.

14. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Sounds like the OP's issue is being well taken care of. However, being an electronics guy, let me elaborate on this statement.

It's true that the signal could indeed being taken to ground. This would happen if there was a short in the wiring somewhere, meaning a bare wire or a wire with the insulation skinned away, exposing the bare wire and touching a ground wire, lug, shielding, or even the shielding paint somewhere.

And cold solder joints and loose connections can work. Or not. At best, the connection will be intermittent.

If a connection isn't made, as in a wire being broken or disconnected in the circuit (say the wire going to the output jack is completely broken away), then the signal doesn't go anywhere at all. With an incomplete circuit, there's nowhere for the signal to go. In fact, you could get really picky and say that the signal never gets started because of the incomplete circuit.

However, I won't get that picky, I've been crowing enough semantics already...:roll eyes:

15. JustForSport

JustForSport Guest

Nov 17, 2011
    "incomplete circuit"/ open circuit, same thing-
    could be in pickup coils, between pots, etc.

16. illstaygold

illstaygold Guest

Feb 11, 2014
    This is all interesting to me, carry on... :thumbup:

17. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Yes, it is, but not the same thing as shorted to ground, although the result is the same.

18. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Not really. On a two pickup bass with both pickups on, they are both part of the circuit. If the pickup has an open connection then it just will not work within that circuit. If it is shorted, then the signal of the entire circuit is taken to ground, and the bass will make no sound, unless the pickup that is not shorted is soloed. If it was just open then the bass would act as if the good pickup was soloed at all times. Its a pretty major difference really.

19. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I can't believe I'm using this phrase, but it kinda depends on what "It" is...My mistake for thinking some things were common sense.

20. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx

You said the result would be the same between a short and open. Its not the same at all