I need to fit a 3/4 upright bass in a 2-door Jeep Wrangler with two people.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by guitar, May 18, 2015.

1. guitar

guitar

May 18, 2015
    So I rented a 3/4 and I have to pick it up tomorrow morning. But no car, can't drive, so I'm having someone take me there and use their car to pick it up.

Problem is, will it fit both of us as well as the instrument? I'm really worried.

I have no idea what the model/year is (sorry) I just know is that it's a 2 door Jeep Wrangler. It looks like this:

jeep_wrangler_2_10.jpg

So yeah, the top thing can come off. Also, the back seats and flatten (but only both, not just the left or just the right).
    But how do I do it??? Like I said, it's a rental so I want to make sure it's as safe as possible for the ride home. Riding in a shaky-ass jeep isn't helping, y'know? I ain't trying to pay $1500+ for a new door stop.

Like, do I stick it in the back with us two up front and just let the scroll/neck poke out the window? That seems incredibly dangerous and I don't want it to snap. Also, I don't know how far the front seat can recline.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    If the back seat/in front of the spare tire is long enough, typically you would both sit in the front seat with the body of the bass in the back with the neck up between the front seats. Putting the back seats down would likely give you more length, but I don't know much about Jeeps. That is where I would start, and it should be a piece of cake loading it in there because you don't have to worry about all the wiggling that comes with 2-doors if there really aren't any sides on the vehicle.

If that doesn't work, you can recline the passenger seat as far back as it will go and have the bass in there while you sit behind the driver. If neither of those work (and I would be pretty surprised if they didn't) then you can angle the bass either in the back or the front so the body has more space and you sit where the neck is. Here is Gary from Upton bass fitting his bass in a station wagon and a Mini Cooper. It can be done.

3. guitar

guitar

May 18, 2015
    Thanks for the reply, MC. Although I read this after the matter, I ended up I think doing what you said firstly, putting the body in the back and letting the neck & scroll poke through the head. The neck appeared to be fine as no pressure was applied to it instead of the body. So I think it all went smoothly.