Love these strings, what brand are they??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sammy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Hey,

I've been playing these strings that came on my new bass for months and I have really grown to love them. They are deep and have just the right amount growl. Unfortunately no one seems to know the brand, can someone tell by looking at them?

Thanx,
    Sam

Attached Files:

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    they could be elites players nickel. they look like they taper in about the same place. are they gold/brass colour ball-ends? the elites are great strings by the way.

3. Email the manufacturer of your bass and see what they say. I do not see any reason why they wouldn't inform you.

4. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Forget about the strings for a second... that's a nice BASS you've got there, my friend!

5. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    by looking at the headstock, they look like warwick black labels, except the G string (golden color at the end) it might be a MTD strings.
    If the B string is taper at the bridge, that will confirm the warwick strings, If the B string is not tapered, they could be DR's.

6. RUSTYHOOK100

RUSTYHOOK100 Guest

Jul 17, 2008
    holy moly thats a nice bass

7. Wootsticks

Wootsticks Guest

Jul 26, 2007
    Houston, TX
    DR's don't taper that way at the headstock, and they also have tapered B strings.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Those remind me of Dingwall strings, but they lack the tapered ends.
    Another wild guess would be R. Cocco ?

9. I can only imagine that any strings would sound amazing on that bass :)

10. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Thanks for the complements on the bass, it is THE bass for me, I barely play any of my other basses. The Daniel Fernandez plays and sounds as good as it looks. ;)

I can’t recommend his basses enough, below is the website.

http://ar.geocities.com/fernandezluthier/

As for the strings, I did ask Daniel and Brian Barrett (dealer) about the strings. Both these guys are super nice and answered me within hours of me asking, but I still don’t know what type of strings these are.

I haven’t checked the color of the ball ends yet, sorry. I'm fairly sure these brass.

I was hoping that how the second wire is wrapped around the core on the headstock would give them away.

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The headstock wire looks like dean markley to me. Most of their sets have silk though, so try a non-silked DM set.

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I wonder if they are LaBella strings. Like super steps or slappers or something like that. Because here's what those strings aren't:

Dean Markley (perhaps they are non-silk DMs but I doubt it)
    Sadowsky
    DR
    D'Addario
    Fender
    GHS
    Thomastik-Infeld
    Lakland
    MTD
    Elixer
    Ken Smith
    Rotosound
    Ernie Ball

I hope this helps narrow it down. The "sound" you mention remind me of R. Cocco strings. Perhaps ask him? http://www.coccostrings.com/

Good luck! The "right" string is very important, so I'm trying to help as much as possible

13. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Well .... after a year and a few sets of strings I'm still looking for these strings !

Anybody :help:

14. What did you try in the interim? Maybe we can knock a few more things off of the list.

15. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Unfortunately, at 40 bucks a pop, I haven’t tried as many sets as I would have liked.

Labella strings typically have a tapered B (according to their website) and the strings on the bass have no taper. I’ve sent a couple emails to the company but they are "non-responsive". I’ve also have recently called and sent an email to Dean Markley, hoping to hear back from them.

Since I am a fan of DR strings on my Nordstrand and had a new set of Sunbeams, I tried them on the Daniel Fernandez (DF). To my amazement, I really didn’t like the sunbeams on the DF! First, the tension of the sunbeams on the DF was noticeably higher than the mystery strings (and from the Nordy). And the growl I have of the sunbeams on the maple fretboard was gone on the ebony.

After a week, I put the old strings back on … which are still on.

16. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Ken Smiths come with a tapered B, and they sound nice.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I wouldn't expect the dealer to know. As an earlier post suggested, contact the MANUFACTURER and ask them.

18. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    To be thorough, I have contacted the bass manufacturer (Daniel - super nice guy), the dealer (Brian - super nice guy - just in case he changed them), and have tryed to contact the string manufacturers that these strings MAY be. When contacted by phone, the string manufacturers ask for an email. No string manufacturers has answered their emails. (yes .. some have received for than one ...)

I'm going back to my extended family on talkbass!

19. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    hmmm...(and this is mostly rhetorical) no one at the builder/manufacturer knows what type of strings they use on these basses? Or do they use different ones for different models or something...? Sorry, I know you did as much as you could, but Im a little surprised no one can tell you. Good luck.

20. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I thought this was going to be easy ...

last year :rollno: