Moonshine DC Bass build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by moonshinegtrs, Mar 23, 2013.

1. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Thank you. Come on over... We can talk basses, eat some BBQ and catch some music in Nashville.

An arched top would look nice on this body style. How about the next one being a mahogany body (w/ arched top) and multi-laminated set neck? I think that the all mahogany body would look really nice with the one pickup.

That's a huge compliment in my neck of the woods. Thanks!

Mmmmm... BBQ Sunday.

Moonshine :bassist:

2. Junk420

Junk420 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    Cornwall, Ontario
    Awesome build. Your next build you should inlay the little skull on your bench into the headstock. That thing looks wicked!

3. moonshinegtrs

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    That is AWESOME! It never crossed my mind.

You know I have to start doing that now. :D

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This bass is dead sexy ! Yep.

BassHappy and moonshinegtrs like this.
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Great looking bass. If you are interested in getting rid of that T40 pickup, I am always in the market.

moonshinegtrs likes this.
  6. moonshinegtrs

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Update: I haven't had much time to get on here... I've actually been busy building basses... Not entirely sure how that happened, but I hope it keeps going.

After installing the darkstar, I gigged with the bass from time to time; it sounded good when I was playing by myself, but every time I used it in a band situation it seemed to get lost in the mix. I ended up going back to playing my P basses. A few months ago, I found myself gravitating towards one P bass in particular; the main difference with this bass was it had flatwounds on it. I had a set of flats on a t-bird for awhile one time, but I have always looked on them before as limited, compared to roundwounds. But now this bass with flats seemed to work with any band situation I came up against.

I've been keeping the double cutaway at my cabin in the living room; I like having it nearby, it plays so nice and it weighs nothing. Last week just as I was leaving to go to band practice, I got the idea to slap a set of flatwounds on the double cutaway and take it to practice. The difference with the bass was amazing; suddenly it was cutting through guitars & drums with no problem. And the tone... Damn. Everybody in the band commented on the way the bass sounded. I ended up using it last weekend and it was the only bass I used for the entire gig (I usually use at least two, sometimes three basses depending on what we will be playing). This bass has it all; it's light weight, balances well, plays effortlessly and sounds huge (and surprisingly, for a bass with one pickup, it has a variety of tones). I have found my bass.

The only thing that bothered me was the pickup was a little too close to the strings. I found myself occasionally hitting the polepieces with the strings. I lowered the polepieces as far as I could and it seemed to help, but future plans included finding a way to sink the pickup slightly into the body.

Last weekend's gig went great, the bass killed. At the end of the gig, I put the bass into it's gigbag and loaded up my HHR. I waited to the next day to unload, brought the bass back to the cabin and didn't take it out of the gig bag until Monday afternoon. As I took it out, I immediately noticed that the darkstar pickup had partially dropped into the cavity. I didn't have a chance to take the bass apart until the next day; when I did, I realized that the pickup assembly is epoxied to chrome metal pickup ring. In my case, the pickup had been knocked loose from the ring. Still not sure how it happened; I loaded and unloaded my wagon, There was no way that it could of fallen or anything could of fallen on it. The only thing that I can think of I was playing the hell out of the it at the end of the weekend's gig. This is nothing unusual, I sometimes tend to get carried away if I'm enjoying myself and I was having a blast at that gig... However it happened, it kind of freaked me out; I get this bass sounding perfect, now it's broke. Fortunately, the pickup itself was not damaged. At first, I was going to re-epoxy the pickup to the ring, but then I started thinking about my previous plan to lower the pickup into the body...

I really like the way the bass looked with the original T-40 pickup and the rosewood ring that I made, but when I swapped in the Darkstar I had to make another rosewood ring. I got in a hurry when I did and the ring ended up being slightly out of square; it was no big thing, but it drove me crazy. Plus, the ring just didn't look right with the Darkstar (to me). After looking at the pickup, I decide to go a different route.

First I cut a new pickup ring (plate?), this time I decided to go with ash to match the body. I found a piece of wood that matched the grain on the body (not perfect, but I think it comes close). I made the new ring the same thickness as the original one. To mount the pickup, I discovered that a standard humbucking pickup ring could be made to work with the pickup. The pickup adjustment screws are now used hold the pickup in place (the polepieces are adjustable). The screws that I used were chrome, but I need to change them out to black so they don't visually stand out so much.

I am pleased with how it turned out. I won't say this is the last time I mod this bass, but I am very happy with it (for the time being...)

DCBass1_zpsec12cf28.jpg

DCBass3_zps4d0a7957.jpg

DCBass2_zps60ab5051.jpg

7. flameworker

flameworker Guest

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    Great work, I learned alot from this post, I wasn't sure how to shape the heel (i didn't even know what it was called, i have been referring to it as," the back part where the neck bolts on"), I have just been tearing at it with a shur form, taking forever, drilling first (and marking prior) is making big difference. Also the routing of the cover panel I couldn't figure out, the little riser steps are perfect. Thank you.

I always hated those t-40 pickups,but of course i haven't had on since 1989, thru proper amplification apparently they are great.

8. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    A humbucker pickup ring, wow! Who'd a thunk? Nice job!

You know how much I love this bass, Moonshine. Glad to see it still delivering the goods!

9. moonshinegtrs

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    [QUOTE="flameworker, post: 16524906, member: I always hated those t-40 pickups,but of course i haven't had on since 1989, thru proper amplification apparently they are great.[/QUOTE]

Thanks flameworker & c.t.; A T-40 was my first real bass, I couldn't wait to get rid of it... Years later, I have owned several, plus I have used these pickups in several builds... Who knew? (c.t. does.)

Here we are at work (and I wonder how the pickup got pushed into the body... ):
    RickDCbass_zps09eee747.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Nice!!

11. flameworker

flameworker Guest

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    Nice! a Black Peavy Fury was my first bass, I had a T-40 on loan for a few weeks after I snapped its truss rod trying to get the "jaco tremolo" neck bend. and I didn't like it, mostly because i didn't care for it's looks if I use my time travel thinking cap back to my 15 YO mind. It also didn't have my preferred strings being a loaner. Now i want to find one and try it, a friend of mine has one i think.

I distinctly remember being shocked somewhere around 11-13 that my bass was made of wood. "nice chunk of wood" my personal hero Matt Parker (a killer punk rock bass player, he gave me a Police cassette, really helped my playing learning those songs) said. My mind was blown, under the black paint a bass is WOOD? I knew the neck was wood, i wonder what I thought it was made of....Magic bass foam?

I love the simplicity of your build, how does it feel sitting down?

I may go for the even horn look on my 4 string 32 gauge build,

Is there anything you would do differently if you had to start over?

Thumpin_P likes this.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Hell yeah. That is one badass pickup for rock!

Nice. Flog that thing!

Thumpin_P likes this.
  13. moonshinegtrs

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    "Magic Bass Foam"... I love it!

I had to go play the bass sitting down to answer your question (I have done it several times, just never really thought about it). It plays good sitting down; it fits on my knee quite well. The only problem isn't with the bass... it's, uh... Let's just say that there's not a whole lot of room on my lap. I find myself placing the bottom of the bass on my leg & playing it that way.

I thought about your last question and I can honestly say there is nothing that I would change about this bass. I did swap out the T-40 pickup for the Darkstar, but I never tried flatwounds on the bass until recently. If I had earlier, I may have kept the T-40 pickup in it.

Thumpin_P likes this.
  14. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    Don't know how I missed this one, Great Build!

15. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    I would love to hear this bass, someday, somehow.
    just for giggles...have you tried the DS reversed, so the poles are closer to the bridge?

16. i'm in love with this bass :thumbsup: