open or closed notes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by garya, May 26, 2015.

1. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    I love using open notes. There's always the caveat that positioning is dependent on the riff. Along with the nice full tone, playing an open string gives you a jump on the riff. I have been working on my speed an accuracy. The fastest way I found was going across the finger board. By playing opens, you let the bass do some of the work (fingering) for you. Why not use all options. :thumbsup:

2. Hamish MacCleod

Hamish MacCleod Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2014
    South America
    ^ These... I started on Double Bass, sometimes it makes more sense to hit an open note. Now playing fretless 35" scale but what we learn when starting out sometimes stays with us.
    Rondo

3. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I was once taught by a classical bass teacher that anytime you're playing from string to string you should do it in blocks of 2 notes on the same string. So if that means going from b to open a to g to fretted A I would play both open a and then fretted A. I think it makes sense once you start getting used to the idea and I believe adds a bit more continuity to my playing.

jjmuckluckjr likes this.
  4. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    Open strings are your friend

5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Jamerson was a jazz bass player first and played a DB. Playing open fourths is a whole lot easier and makes a whole lot more sense than fingering them on a DB. At the time he was playing, the Fender bass was pretty well established as its own instrument, but there were still remnants of DB playing that have been evolved away by now. I don't know for sure if that's how he thought about it. It's just an observation about playing both instruments and my own behavior switching back and forth.

lz4005 and gjohnson441496 like this.
  6. I'm assuming the Hofner in your avatar is your bass?

Hofners have a really distinct tone played up the neck - very rich and full. One of the beautiful things about that bass is the different voices you can achieve open or fretted. Enjoy.

7. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name..

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    Its just a different timbre. As a contrast, I sometimes like to play way up the neck on the lower strings for the big parts of songs. The notes are really fat up there. In fact they are so fat they don't often work, but they make a big difference in a performance if you use them for effect every once in a while. Compare the D on the 7th fret G string with the D in the 22nd fret of the E. Same note, different sound.

I also contrast by playing open strings often.

8. christpncher

christpncher

Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Im playing in a power-pop/rock-n-roll group and could not live without the open A, its pretty much my favorite note.

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Electric bass is still a fairly new instrument. There really is no right or wrong way to play it. Muscle memory will kick in as you get used to your bass. You will be able to get open and closed notes to sound 99% the same just by your attack. You can also make them sound way different based on your attack. It's all in the fingers......The biggest difference to me is the sustain. I find the need to mute the open notes after 1/2 second or so where as there's no need with fretted notes. Again, It becomes a second nature "Muscle Memory" thing.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  10. I respectfully disagree, at least in part, based on my own experience. In 1976, I entered the Studio Music and Jazz program at the University of Miami and took lessons from Don Coffman, who taught Jeff Andrews and Mark Egan, among others. His approach was very systematic, and thanks to him I made very swift progress on the instrument, especially from a technical point of view. There really ARE better, more efficient ways to play bass, adopted from both guitar technique and double bass technique -- both of which I studied, and which helped me make gains in mastering the instrument. And there are less efficient approaches that inhibit expression and accuracy -- I've seen many students come in for lessons with techniques that prevented them from making progress.

I do agree with you that the attack and the sustain and controlling them with your hands is crucial. Which is why when I teach, I include those techniques right away, as well as a systematic approach to shifting, using single-string scales.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  11. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Did Don specifically address Open Versus fretted technique? I am sure he is a great teacher but I would not let anyone tell me how to achieve "My" sound. But for the Majority of the Bass playing population I guess you can't go wrong by doing what someone else tells you to do, I don't think anyone is saying "Don't Use open notes" or "Only use open notes". This is what I mean by "no wrong way"....

12. No, I agree there is no right or wrong way about using open notes (except the wrong way of using them to sound REALLY BAD ;) ). And I agree that in achieving an individual sound you'll need to experiment.

Don taught more of an approach to the instrument, rather than a strict set of rules. He had me examine different ways of fingering passages and justify the choices from a musical standpoint. For instance, when working on Donna Lee, he asked me why I chose to use a less-efficient choice. I was using it so I could slur the notes, and he agreed it made sense, because the result suited the passage. He was also given to experimentation -- he was using tapping techniques with a mute on the neck before anyone I'd ever heard of using it.

FunkHead likes this.