Pros and cons of arching right hand over strings?

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by Tupac, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Is it better to keep your fingers coming down on the strings almost perpendicular, or more diagonal? Flea is the best example on someone who arches their right hand way over the strings as they play. I find it's very comfortable to be able to get all that power of the first knuckle and not having to move much when playing octaves. However, it's a little difficult to do that when you use the moveable anchor like me. What do you think?

Also, what is your opinion on raising the right forearm off the bass?

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    As long as you aren't putting your wrist at any weird or crazy angle I think you'll be fine. I know mine comes off and on as I need it to during a gig.

3. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    great question... i think a lot of it is going to depend on the position of your forearm, combined with how you are built. everyone is going to have a little different 'sweet spot' when it comes to fingering poise over the strings. the problem for some players with the perpendicular approach is that it will sometimes result in a sharper wrist angle from the plucking hand. any really sharp wrist angle _under tension_ is something i stress that players avoid at all times. with a more diagonal approach, the angle can be 'softer' and allow the wrist to use a little less curvature... hope that makes sense. for me personally, i use a more diagonal approach, as it seems to work quite efficiently for my hand position and finger length, etc... it also is very compatible with my movable anchor approach. i hope that helps!

4. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    A detailed response as usual :) Thanks!