Rockbass vs Performer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeterpanKs, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Performer 5

42.9%
  2. Rockbass standard 4

57.1%
  1. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs Guest

Oct 12, 2014
    Hi guys I've come into a dilemma whether to choose the Perforner by spector (5 strings) or the Rockbass by warwick standard (4 strings).
    I really dont care about the string numbers but in term of the pure sound quality, which one will do a better job? After all, I'm going to get a preamp for it whether its a rocks or performer. In term of sound, body and wood quality which one will gets a better results?
    Thanks a lot!! I gotta decide this fast.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  2. Splods

Splods Guest

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    I have a performer, and am quite fond of it. What pickups does the rockbass have? If it's an active jazz, then I would go with that.

Do you have/ need a 5 string?

3. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs Guest

Oct 12, 2014
    Thanks for the reply Splods!
    It got 2 humbucker pups, they called it "MEC vintage humbuckers". Actually I got mistaken about the electric, they're both passive not active, so cut out the active/passive questioning but after all I'm going to get a preamp for it (whenever which one I choose). As I said in the beginning, no. of strings doesn't matter at all, I'm deeply focus on the sound, wood and body qualities only.

4. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Guest Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    If it's a newer model Rockbass, with the 2pc bridge, then the quality level is going to be a fair bit higher than the Performer.

The original RB was similar to Performer in that they came with more flat style bodies that werr painted solid colors, and with entry grade hardware+electronics, but Warwick wasn't happy with them and improved the line up. Now there are better woods and finishes, along with the same hardware that the German models get. The MEC pickups are so-so, but they're better than the "SSD" buckers. The Rockbass also has a 5pc laminated neck, which is going to be more stable than the Performer.

The RB line is more on par with the Spector Legend series, than the Performers.

5. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs Guest

Oct 12, 2014
    Thanks for the reply MarkoYYZ!
    Yes, I think its a newer model, btw. here's the pic the seller sent to me:
    image-2E84_55BE14C1.jpg

So, you're suggesting me to get the streamer over the performer?
    P.S. I'm a bit heading for the streamer now ;)

6. Immigrant

Immigrant In Memoriam

OP, you completely lost me.

You say number of strings doesn't matter, just sound and wood. Then you say you're going to add a preamp.

You can buy a bass that feels and plays good and try to make it sound better through upgrades. You can't add a fifth string (unless you are Ric5).

Usually number of strings is closer to the top of the "needs list" than what kind of wood it's made of.

As to your original question, I pick neither but that's just me.

7. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs Guest

Oct 12, 2014
    Haha, thanks for the reply Immigrant... but if you're me, same situation, what'll be your choice?

8. Immigrant

Immigrant In Memoriam

Warwick. I'm not really a big fan of the Performer series after having one, and it was a lemon. I've heard good things about the Rockbass series as of late.

9. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs Guest

Oct 12, 2014
    Thanks for the fast reply Immigrant!
    Can you confirm the pic that I posted if its the newer model or not. I'm pretty sure I'll go for the Warwick now.

10. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs Guest

Oct 12, 2014
    FYI its a made in china bass (streamer), on the other hand the spector is made indonesia.

11. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Guest Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I don't see any pictures...

Also, the RB Streamer is the entry model, out of all Warwicks. I think the body is lightweight, like Paulownia or something, but it would still be a notch above the Performer even if it's made in China - much like people consider the Chinese made Classic Vibe Squiers as better instruments than the Indonesian made Vintage Modifieds. There are exceptions in all cases, but with the right oversight at the factories, they can make great stuff.

12. Splods

Splods Guest

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    Here is a terrible video I made showing off an old Performer I have. It certainly growls more than a rockbass would, but it doesn't do much more.

13. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    RockBass, and by a mile too.

Like someone already said, the new rockbass line is on par with the Spector legend series, LTD 400 series, Mexico/japan Fender.

awesome little basses.

14. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs Guest

Oct 12, 2014
    Here's the pic again, I'm pretty sure its a newer model tho.
    really appreciated your help :)
    image-2E84_55BE14C1.jpg

15. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs Guest

Oct 12, 2014
    A lot of treble in the clip tho, btw. nice playing :)
    thanks for the help...

Splods likes this.
  16. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs Guest

Oct 12, 2014
    Thanks a lot! I'm now going for the RB for sure, your comment really help me decide :)

17. Imaginary Pony

Imaginary Pony Guest

Aug 29, 2014
    Your picture doesn't show, but go for the Rockbass.

18. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs Guest

Oct 12, 2014