SPECTOR® Club - Part 75

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 27, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    lol, that's funny right there

2. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    :D

Standard TB protocol dictates that we start a 10+ page rage quit thread in which everyone gives him a hard time, but seeing as he's our friend & chose our club thread in which to say goodbye, I say we give him a hall pass... :ninja:

3. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Thanks guys, it's always great to get words of encouragement from you. Sharing our excitement about these basses is one of the main reasons I hang here more than anywhere else on TB.

I have admired your bass since you first rescued it and brought it back to life. How long ago was that? It's been a while. I think going wide would have worked, since the glue joint becomes stronger than the wood. But it looks wicked as is.

4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Take care, Patrick. Your comprehensive Spectorpedia like posts and positive attitude is going to be missed around here :crying:

5. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    It's time for BASSICS, time to move into the next venture giving us the knowledge you hold or that you collect from all of your friends/connections. We may even see a BASSICS thread on Talkbass which will assist us in finding your new site, don't be hurt as you have made your choice and number 3 works very well for a person that has many friends! See you on Facebook Patrick you will always be my friend.

6. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Funny, I'm starting to work on this very same thing! I have some pretty good pics to work off of (there's a few part values I need to chase down, but I have clear enough pics for the resistor color codes)

7. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    I've thought about doing that too. (although I have a Brooklyn era one sitting in a drawer) It wouldn't be very hard. There are some patent laws you would have to dance around. That's not a big deal either, Mighty Mite was able to do it.

8. duff2

duff2 Guest

Dec 16, 2007
    Even if that circuit was patented, which it is not, making one for your own personal use does not break any law. The circuit trace image may be copyrighted, I haven't checked, but the same 'fair use' rules would apply even if it was.

-Duff2

9. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    I can respect that. Spalt front and center. If ever decide to partake in a Forte, let me know. This might be the only one on earth that I might GAS for a smidge more than my Haz-equipped Forte monster. :ninja:

10. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I don't think any of that matters if your building for your own use, I love spector basses but 500 bucks for that board is a rip off, a john east pre isn't even that much and it has a control plate and knobs attached to it! I do wonder if it's illegal to produce and release a DIY build tutorial.

11. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    ^^THIS^^. :meh:

12. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    I missed the first draft and can only guess the problem is between one of the bosses and the employee...and...the bosses always win!

13. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go...

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    It's all economics... Supply and Demand...

9v's are in very short supply and very high demand (determined by the number of people who want one of the preamps not already spoken for in a build). The only way to cut down on the demand is to raise the price. I know that they are sometimes putting finished basses ready for assembly off to the side while they wait for a batch of 9v's to arrive.

I've wondered about an onboard preamp for a bass with a chip that uses bass modeling (like how so many companies are making bass amps and pedals with amp modeling). Have a rotary switch that will cycle through different bass sounds. That way you have the Spector 9v, 18v, Tone Pump, Aggie OBP, EMG BQC, all right there in one bass. Even add modeling for Ricks, Walls, Sadowsky, etc..

If done well that would be really cool I think.

14. Torn Bassist

Torn Bassist

Feb 8, 2013
    Missouri
    If the 9V was easy to purchase for a reasonable price everyone would just buy the production model basses (Euro/Korean) and it would shut down the American shop, the easiest way to control that would be to control the circuit or some other key design feature.

I think your idea sounds great Jeff!

A person could build there own 9V with a little difference in the design of the board and then call it there own.

15. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    I say that if a preamp is all that distinguishes your imports from your top of the line and its all that keeps your american shop from closing then you have other problems. That being said, if your CB supplier is holding you up from producing in your american shop, then I also say its time to find a new supplier. There's about 30 bucks worth of parts on that board, a single layer blank is probably about 10 to 15 dollars a pop, and all of these items get price breaks as the qty ordered goes up, a skilled tech once up and running with a process could build at least 10 to 15 (maybe more) a day without a problem by himself in his garage if he wanted.

16. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Watch out where the huskies go...

Dec 12, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    This is the same supplier (HazLabs) they've used from the 70's. I think what's going on here isn't quite that simple or they would've done it. IMHO

17. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    This HAZ problem is poor management by Spector. They could easily find another shop to build that thing. I think Stuart is friends with the guy that builds them and he puts that friendship before business. Which is understandable.

heck, A tech school grad could build all they need in his garage on weekends.

I've had haz pres in spectors before and they are nice, but I think they are overrated here and overpriced. Like I said before, I have one sitting in a drawer and I feel lucky to have it. I want to put it in my Forte, just haven't gotten around to it. The bass sounds really good like it is, so I haven't been that excited about changing anything. I've learned to not mess with something you like. Maybe this weekend.

I believe the mojo in Spector basses is in the wood, design and craftsmanship.

18. Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    Didnt realize there was another Bama guy on here!:bassist:

John<- tech school grad

19. duff2

duff2 Guest

Dec 16, 2007
    Overpriced? Yes, but so are many other luxury items that I can't afford right now.

Overrated? Not to me. That preamp really adds something special to the tone of a Spector bass, IMO of course.

-Duff2

20. Clearwave

Clearwave

Sep 29, 2011
    The Future
    Roll Tide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.