Stagg EUB megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by derrenleepoole, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Dr Dorkenstein

Dr Dorkenstein Guest

Oct 25, 2006
    Glasgow, UK
    You know, for the price, it's almost worth buying one just to see if it's any good. Almost.

2. That instrument most definitely shares components with the Aria SWB1 Lite (I've got one of those), and I'd bet it's made in the same factory. Looks like the same neck and tailpiece, but the body is a different shape, and the bridge, electronics, and endpin are different. The Aria is a very good instrument--maybe this is a bargain.

3. A photo:

4. TheSuzie

TheSuzie Guest

Jan 27, 2006
    Boston & Arizona, USA
    Interesting but not sure I'm loving the archtop guitar style bridge. It may be great but I have never seen this on an EUB before.

Peace,
    S

5. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    Do you guys think it's able to bow?

6. The pictures look like the fingerboard has a double bass radius, but it's hard to tell. Please buy one and report back here;)

tubedude likes this.
  7. AngryJason

AngryJason Guest

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento CA
    Ok, I'm game. I'm ordering one today, and will follow up here once I've rec'd it.

8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i must have missed something: did i read free shipping, even to the US? thanks, ron

9. Right on!

10. Any news?

11. saxnbass

saxnbass Guest

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I saw one in a music store like 3 minutes walk from me. I'm gonna go check it out. Maybe I'll be able to finangle it in somehow to buy it, if it's any good, though it will be hard as I'm now a college student.

12. bassbob

bassbob

Oct 16, 2004
    Midwest
    I tried a Stagg EUB today at a local Music Go Round.

The bass has pretty good workmanship and the neck has a DB feel to it. The scale is about 41" or to. The feel of the bass is okay.

The tuners and the tailpiece are ready to go for regular DB strings. The bridge is some kind of plastic wtih a pickup built in there somewhere. I think a lot of the body, neck and fingerboard are some kind of wood/plastic combo.

The electroincs don't hum and there is no fingerboard noise to speak of.

So the problems is this: It sounds just like an EBG with a longer scale. So save up for something better or work on a different bridge/pickup combo. ( This would get you into the Palatino dept. )

Anyway, if you want it, come to St. Paul $430 with case and tax out the door.

13. saxnbass

saxnbass Guest

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah, I tried it out too the other day at the store. Sorry for forgetting to post.

The workmanship it good and it feels nice. 3/4" scale feel and I would say it is bowable.
    There are 2 things that I did not like that you can't do anything about. 1) The intonation was horrible. I mean bad. If you were to use the dots at all, forget it. Also, once you get higher up the board, string to string intonation is shot too.

The other thing (2nd for those of you counting) is the sound. I found that it was very muddy and I didn't like it very much.

14. gurzil

gurzil

Jul 24, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I got to try one out today. The biggest oddity to me was the materials. It felt like plasticized wood of some kind. The neck and fingerboard appear to be all one piece of material. Playingwise it seemed alright pizz. There were some buzzes, which made me wonder what you would find if you started sanding on the fingerboard.

15. teh.chicken

teh.chicken Guest

Oct 2, 2007
    I am looking for a eub around £500/$1000 that is reasonable for the price. Would you recomend the stagg?

16. teh.chicken

teh.chicken Guest

Oct 2, 2007
    Can you put double bass strings on the stagg?

17. dstuer

dstuer

Sep 17, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    I tried a used one the other day in a store, nice sustain and growl. Wanted to try it with a bow but by the time I got back it was sold. Listed on the tag for $500, could kick myself for not just getting out the credit card and going for it.
    Only weird thing was, it seemed to suck a 9 volt battery to death in the 20 minutes I tried it.

18. teh.chicken

teh.chicken Guest

Oct 2, 2007
    Does it have an active output?

19. dstuer

dstuer

Sep 17, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    I believe the battery was boosting for a low impedance pickup. But I didn't spend enough time with it to know for sure. The sound was reminisant of a Taneges(spelling?) pickup.