Superstar Fallout Boy Bassist Pete Wentz on Howard Stern the other day.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spirit of Ox, Jan 22, 2015.

1. For those who listen, and I know there are a few listeners on board from my last thread. Howard asked this guy everything except for bass. Granted, he was married to Ashley Simpson.
    Why is this guy so famous? He's a mediocre at bet bassist and I understand he writes most of the songs but check it out; he only writes the lyrics.
    I thought he was like Steve Harris in which he writes the whole song music and lyrics.
    I know Niel Peart writes all of the lyrics for Rush but I'm very surprised that Pete doesn't write any music as a bassist.

2. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    Can't speak for the bassist. But to be honest, I really don't understand the draw of Fall Out Boy at all. Not bad, but not really notable, either. At least Nickleback has a defined sound, enough to make people love or hate them. Not sure how they got to be a household name.

I do remember a few years ago seeing some "live" set of theirs on TV for some celebration, maybe New Years. Every single person on the front row must have been a model/actor. I just can't see any correlation between modelesque people in the room and Fall Out Boy being chance. It looked like an Abercrombie and Fitch commercial. I would say maybe Axe cologne, but the band's not as pretty as the audience. Maybe we all just need better marketing teams.

3. Yeah the guy just seems like he's famous for being everything but a bassist which I guess he is.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yeah, I'm Jealous too.

5. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014

Well, yeah. I mean, we got pages and pages of TB threads that discuss the elements that at least make it somewhat more likely that an original band can "make it". Beyond the "wake up and smell the reality" that the vast majority of bands don't make it, one of the things that make it more likely are when bands can differentiate themselves effectively. I'm lost on what exactly Fall Out did that set them apart from the rest of the lot.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Songwriters are king, anybody in the industry will tell you that. He is basically a modern day Nikki Sixx, except Pete could actually play prior to starting the band.

I remember when Fall Out Boy broke. They got hired for their songwriting and their image, not for their chops. Find some live footage or their demo stuff, they were pretty poopy live (especially the singer.) I like their old stuff, their new stuff not so much.

7. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Well for one, You have to give it 100%. I mean load you car up and head to where the action is. Give up everything else that matters and devote your life to music. It also helps to know the right people. I have not given 100% to becoming a famous Bass player. So I'm not a has been, I'm a hasn't been yet. But...even at 50 yrs old, I haven't given up the dream. I play every day and Jam/Gig at least once a month. Only recently have I started writing music and where there's a will there's a way no matter what your circumstance. MaybeFallout Boy is the Fire that has been lit under yours (& OP's) ass.:thumbsup:

mikeyjm2, petrus61 and bassbully like this.
  8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    So this guy writes lyrics to songs some people like and buy. He plays a bass rather poorly in his band but well enough for the music they play.

Sounds like he is doing quite well for himself. Why the diss on him?

Phalex, mikeyjm2, BlueShox and 2 others like this.
  9. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    Well, I know my limitations and personal situation, and pretty much resigned to the fact that if I were to give it 100% I would be sacrificing a lot for a very small chance of return. So I'm a hobbyist now, at best. If I wanted to be well-known musician, I'd have better luck playing the lottery. Fall Out Boy may be one of those bands people love to hate. I really don't care either way - they take up little, if any, of my day to day life. It's just that on the rare chance I hear them I'm underwhelmed, to say the least. And not just because their music could be said to be mediocre - mediocre musicians become famous all the time. It's just that most of those mediocre musicians have "something unique" that sets them apart, to seem more "pro". Sorry, but I just can't believe it's their songwriting. If they were a disney boy band, or nashville pop act, I would understand it as just another big-money production package. They're pop/punk. You still have to have at least a tiny bit of authenticity or street cred to make it as an original band in pop/punk, right? Or is that totally dead there, too?

10. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Look at it this way. He's doing his thing..your doing your's. Care to compare?

11. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I think what you fail to realize here is the people who dig their music don't look at them like you. I don't like the Beatles but millions do, same with Death metal and Rap. Just because I don't like them or understand their music gives me no platform to pick them apart.

12. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    The singer has one of the best voices ever.....He is the band...IMO.

ultra60 likes this.
  13. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    West Los Angeles
    part of the reason he's so well known is because several years ago he leaked naked images of his weenis onto the internet

it's the kim k fame\shame syndrome.

14. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade careers with him but I wouldn't trade my bass playing desire with his. I'm not dissing him saying he's a bad bassist. I'm not even saying I'm better than him.
    I'm just saying I will go home from my day job and spend the night practicing and working on some interesting basslines or new techniques. I'm in the process of trying to play and record Turkish March at full speed.

15. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Cool. But understand there are allot of people out there that will also be woodsheding their fingers off only to fall way short of this guys achievement.
    Then there are others that will find the pot of gold. Like Gene Simmons once said it's not about then bass it's about the music. Only other musicians and in this case others bassists who fail to understand this.
    I get sick of bassists who have acceved nothing but somehow love dissing others who have. Stupid! Only on Talkbass :rollno:

Fat Steve likes this.
  16. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA

He might of done that but unlike her he does play in a band, tour and write songs. Beside her boning some guy on film she's usless.

17. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist Guest

Mar 13, 2014
    I didn't care for Fallout Boy 10 years ago. They're musical genius compared to many acts we have today.

Took a while but I dig Fallout Boy.

18. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    In some ways I agree. I will say I really have never heard more than a few songs and seen them on a music awards show. Not my bag kiddy pop/punk but they got there and paid their dues. Who am I to judge them as musicians?

19. Who cares? If I tripped over a FOB song, I wouldn't recognize it. If I was a HS fan and Wentz happened to be on, I'd listen to it based on its own merits either way. I gave up hating on bands or players that I have zero connection with or desire to listen to long ago. It's pretty easy to NOT listen to music I don't like or care for.

bassbully likes this.
  20. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I have to say No Cred needed once the Exec's get their hands on you. Plus you're selling to 13 year old girls 90% of the time. Don't get me wrong, There's a ton of good music coming out on a daily basis but you really have to sift through it to find the "Real" deal. I don't really know if I have the right to judge Fallout Boy. It does seem like they are enjoying themselves playing their songs. That will certainly carry over to the audience. The bass player also gets a pretty good tone but that's a given anymore because the Studio's have it down pat. I am constantly underwhelmed by people that I hear so much commotion about. You hear them mentioned over and over again and then you see them and it's like ***?