The future of ebony

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ole Jason, Jun 9, 2012.

1. What do you guys think about this?

Personally, I don't envision streaked ebony ever becoming fully accepted in the violin world as having the same quality as black ebony. I think bassists tend to be a little more open minded in regards to fingerboard appearance than our smaller instrument brethren. I certainly don't mind some grain in a fingerboard but it seems to be a big turn off for a lot of people.

2. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk Guest

Sep 9, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I don't really care how my fingerboard looks as long as it doesn't effect the music I play on it.

I think blonde streaks on a black fingerboard would look amazing anyway. I'd prefer it over a completely black one.

I think that fellow is exaggerating a little bit, though.

If the world ran out of ebony, I think we'd just use rosewood or another substitute. I don't think the world would be sitting in their bedrooms looking at fingerboardless guitars, violins and basses saying 'Wish I had ebony on this so I could play it.'

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I like my ebony with ivory....

4. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    This is a sad day for luthiers everywhere. From now on, folks purchasing instruments will note the imperfections (streaking) in the fingerboard/tailpiece/hatpegs and try to negotiate a lower price... I know I would.

5. playbass0410

playbass0410 Guest

Feb 8, 2008
    Well, as a matter of fact most basses you can purchase today already have NOT pitch black ebony. Luthiers I know have not seen pitch black ebony for years.
    What they do instad is in fact coloring the fretboard. After let my fretboard being reworked I had to stop the luthier to recolor the light brown stains and stripes. "Why are you doing so?" I inquired - L: "I have to so as the customers assoziate brown stains and stripes with poor quality and start discussing". He guys you make yourself being cheated!!
    Personally I do not understand this - the problem is really you, the uninformed customer that thinks ebony must be black - the most do not know that there is even white ebony.

I love the look of my fingerboard - black in mellow light and in sunlight there is a brown shine on it.

This are good news for luthiers everywhere - perhaps it makes customers think and they can stop blacken fretboards...

6. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    If it's a fretted instrument, it doesn't even HAVE to be an ebony fretboard...I LIKE some nice grain there...if it's a lined fretless, same thing...but if it's a fretless with nothing but side dots, a jet black fingerboard just looks too cool...

7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Exactly.

This topic has been rambling around the guitar boards for the past month and many posters seem shocked. Dyeing fingerboards just isn't part of their their mental concept of their instrument.

If we were hearing, "I can't get the density of ebony I need," that would be a significant luthiery fact. Color comes from a bottle (and a gentleman never asks).

The broader point which people seem to want to overlook: If 80% of the "harvest" is left on the ground we're heading toward embargoes. That would stink for violin-family fingerboard. There truly is no natural equivalent.

8. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish Guest

Jan 10, 2012
    E.Sussex UK
    No more ebony, that would suck. Although I have no problem with using jatoba (etc) for a fingerboard instead. I would miss it for other things though.

9. My bass is over 50 years old, original ebony fingerboard and has gray streaks throughout, and a blonde knot on one section at the edge. Doesn't bother me at all. Kinda lends character to the instrument.

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno Guest

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Yeah... that's my leaning too. The quirks of wood, if used well, add to an instrument.
    If people want black, it's the easiest colour to get... take any shade, even blonde maple and dye it enough you'll have a very dark grey... the grain 'would' give it away though:D.

11. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    The scary thing, is that there might not be ebony in 50 years. Makers then might do the most horrible thing possible...use ebonal!

But seriously new tone woods are mostlikely going to be used as more traditional ones are being used up. It might be good, might be bad. Kind of an off topic post but its important

12. isolated

isolated Zenji

Dec 7, 2004
    ...only her luthier knows for sure....

;)

13. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Any doublebass luthier will tell you that ebony fingerboards are not what they were 10, 5, even 3 years ago. They'll have to be impregnated with something dense and hard (and black) to give the kind of performance that we had 20+ years ago. I'm hoping that a process like this is developed sometime soon. It's gotten very difficult to get fingerboards that are at all acceptable.

14. Steve, any idea what accounts for the difference in 20+ year old ebony? Was the Madagascar wood simply better?

I haven't read anything comparing the density of the different ebony species I guess I had always assumed they were fairly similar.

15. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    All the good stuff was used up. The ebony that we get now is sustainably farmed and it is quite a bit less dense and is softer.

16. playbass0410

playbass0410 Guest

Feb 8, 2008
    Well, that is not what I heard. A friend of mine is German luthier himself and he knows nothing about "impregnated with something dense and hard" - what should that be?
    For the instruments he builds he is dyeing fingerboards if the customer wants to. For an classical orchestra blacker than black seems to be a must.
    He has a nice German flatback built 1906 and guess what: brown stains and stripes in the ebony fingerboard...

17. 30 yrs. ago i remember picking up from dulles airport,a small delegation of buisness men from Cameroon and Gabon. Their interest lay in purchasing and exporting logging machinery suitable for jungle work. they were earnest and did not leave empty handed...

sorry for everything!

18. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    No one finds this hypocritical? He makes instruments out of wood. If he was so worried about rain forest depletion, he could stop making guitars. Whether it's legal or not, you're still cutting down trees.

19. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    I noticed just playing on a bass from the 1800's, to my palatino, the actual feel to the wood, and how it feels pressing down on the string

20. Rob Thompson

Rob Thompson Supporting Member

The point is to try to devise a strategy for making the industry sustainable. If you are a major consumer of ebony and you make an honest step toward creating a more sustainable supply (such as purchasing streaked wood at higher prices, which is essentially all he says in the video), you are protecting your own butt as well as global wood supply. We could also all stop buying guitars/violins/etc, right? :rollno: