two songs by ear so far

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ics1974, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    I have used tab and youtube to figure out songs up until now and decided enough is enough. I want to start working out songs by ear. So far I figured out rock N' roll by Zeppelin and Snow ( Hey oh ) by Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    I hate to say it but it's easier then I thought. I mean it was hard at first but it seems to get easier as I get though the song. I know these are easy songs but I am pretty sure I figured it out good enough.
    I am actually scared to go back to a tab and check for mistakes because I don't want to fall back into the habit so I not.

2. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson Guest

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    The more songs you learn this way, the easier it gets. Rock has a lot of common changes, and you'll soon begin to recognize them as being similar to another song.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Congrats I took the same road you did and I actually started going back and correcting tabs.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Inactive

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    I prefer learning by ear ... some songs with lots of changes I need chord charts ... and some songs with complex riffs I need tabs ... But my ears is where it starts and ends.

Chords and tabs online are quite often partially wrong, and sometimes your ear hears it wrong. The more you play the better your ears will get.

5. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    Yeah I am sure there will be lots of complex riffs that I wont be able to figure out by ear either. I really want to make tab a last resort for now so I don't go back to taking the easy way out.

6. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

"Good ears" is one of the prerequisites to be a gigging musician. The more you can do to develop your ears, the better.

7. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    No kidding! Often I wind up producing chord sheets when our two guitar geniuses can't get a song straight or play it the same way. Without exception, whenever I try to cheat and use online chord sheets (even as a basic structure to work from) the constant errors make more work than they save. Worse is when somebody learns a song from a bad online resource - what a timewaster!

Keep up the ear work. It will eventually become much easier than written material -- and then it becomes a useful tool to use on the fly or even when playing to figure out where to go. :bassist:

8. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson Guest

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's true. I reckon a lot of these online tab clowns just cheat and copy off the last online clown. It's like a never-ending clown circle. Some of them are so bad it beggars belief.

9. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues!

Dunno if any have keyboards available. I just put a basic 88-key digital piano in the music room. Right away I was able to play along to the bass part of a song I couldn't quite get. Now to figure out the best fingering on the bass!

10. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Excellent tip!! ... last summer I had my wife keep her eyes open when she was 'garage sale surfing' ... for $20 she found a pretty decent keyboard, stand and bench ... I used it for a while, but have gotten away from it ... it did seem to help picking up intervals easier, just as Craig mentions ...good reminder I need to get back on it !!

11. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i am a firm believer in learning as many songs as possible by ear-the more you learn, the more you understand about musical patterns and the next tune you learn becomes easier and faster to retain.

12. I still learn virtually every song by ear, and I can read music.