Where to find good, heavy-duty power cord?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Edword, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    None of the amps I bought used came with an AC cord. I've substituted AC cords from computers, but most are short and thin.

The best AC cord I've got came with my G-B Shuttlemax, that I bought new. It's the same "computer" type, but nice and long, and much thicker than the others. Anyone know where I can buy that type? I'd like to get one for each of my used heads so I don't get tempted to use my G-B cord among all my amps.

TIA

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Find a place that sells electronic parts, try a commercial supplier who will deal with the public. That is where I get mine.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    And don't let anyone tell you different...the cheap stuff is just as good as the expensive stuff.

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Yup. Just hit up Radio Shack. They have nice, long power cables with a lifetime warranty and cheap price.

5. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Thanks guys

6. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    asterope cable?
    Just kidding, that would be the day i spent over $100 for a power cable.

7. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Where do you work? If it has a good IT department, they'll have tons of power cords, not just for desktop either. Some of the server ones I've seen look like they're made of welding cable.

8. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I've often made them. Www.parts-express.com sell Wategate IEC and Edison ends. You can then cut your 12-14 gauge cable to length.

They are very easy to build.

9. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    There is a electronics recycling place that has a retail store near me. They sell the power cords they get for a buck each. I dig through them and pull out the heavier (14) a gauge versions. There are usually not many of them as most are 18 gauge, but every now and then I will find one that is worth a dollar to me.