1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

wooden stage - wooden floor

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Nov 14, 2012.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

How do you gigging guys stack your cabs on wooden stages or wooden floors ?

We got a gig coming up, and instead of the usual wood stage, or carpeted floor, its a wood floor. This is just the band area, not the whole bar

Both my cabs have castors on the bottom - call it old age, but they're a breeze to move around, but i'm wondering about coupling, or rather de-coupling.

I figure a wooden floor would not be as resonant as a wooden stage, so is it worth shoving a bit of carpet under each cabs' castors ? Or just leave alone

2. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

A bit of carpet isn't going to appreciably change either the mechanical or acoustic coupling with the floor, so I would definitely forget that. The castors themselves do much more to alleviate mechanical coupling than the carpet will. If you're getting a lot of mechanical coupling with the floor I'd put your cabinets up on a chair, or maybe invest in a Gramma pad.

If you actually want mechanical coupling then take the castors off and increase the contact area between the cabinets and the floor.

3. uhdinator

uhdinator

I use 2 auralex gramma's under each 215 sub and top cabs on stands.

4. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

These are my bass cabs, not the PA cabs.

Thanks guys - i'll probably just leave them as is, on the castors, and take note of the results.

5. Register to disable this ad