Cheapest fretless fingerboard? (Bored holidays project)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CanadaMan, Dec 21, 2008.

1. CanadaMan

CanadaMan Guest

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Following up on the Plywood thread, I wonder just how cheap one can build a bass, so as a little progress over the 2 weeks of holidays my school has so graciously allotted me, I've decided to give it a try. The problem I have is, what's the cheapest fingerboard wood for a fretless? The body will probably be something domestic, or just plywood, and the neck will be maple but what of the fretboard? I'll post a build thread once I begin, but I need your help folks!

Thanks guys!
    -CM

2. BassBilodeau

BassBilodeau Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    Sherbrooke, Qc, Canada
    Builder of Bilodeau Basses
    I made a fretless 6 strings with a cocobolo fingerboard. They cost around 13$ and they are already prepared (1/4" thick, quartersaw, planned smooth). You can also go with: Morado (Pau ferro), Indian rosewood or bloodwood. I also tried maple once but I recommend flatwound strings. I buy them at Luthier Mercantile International (www.lmii.com).

Good luck!

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
  4. CanadaMan

CanadaMan Guest

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Thanks guys, does anyone know someone in Canada like this? International Shipping for a 13 dollar piece of wood seems a bit overkill, especially in the spirit of this project. OR I suppose I could scrounge local woodyards.

5. T2W

T2W Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    If you're interested, I can tell ya Merry Christmas and ship out a Pau Ferro board tomorrow morning, now why do this to a complete stranger? yep, why the hell not. PM me if you're in.

6. Why not a maple fingerboard? Fender made some fretless P's years ago with a maple board that just killed. Plus, maple is a lot cheaper than most tropical hardwoods...

7. CanadaMan

CanadaMan Guest

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg, Canada
    T2W, you have PM, that'd be awesome :)
    lposavad, if I don't find anything else, that's the way I will be going.

8. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    my old wishbass had a Pau ferro board, i played it a lot and always used rounds. no complaints.

9. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    A flooring place might have a scrap piece of IPE not much is going to beat that for durability.......t

10. BenitoBassolini

BenitoBassolini Guest

Jun 8, 2008
    Spokane, WA
    Merry Christmas T2M!

11. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    T2W12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
    If you're interested, I can tell ya Merry Christmas and ship out a Pau Ferro board tomorrow morning, now why do this to a complete stranger? yep, why the hell not. PM me if you're in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man... Sometimes the grace and goodwill in this place is just too cool!!!

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician - Retired
    Something just went "ping!" - in the nicest possible way of course.

13. T2W

T2W Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    Here's a good laugh for you all, I actually took a picture of the lady at the post office !!

Picture043.jpg

And here is your board Alex, I shipped it out express so it should be there on the 24th, that's what the lovely lady in the photo told me. And don't worry it's not cod, hehehe. Happy Holidays everyone !!!!

Picture042.jpg

14. CanadaMan

CanadaMan Guest

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Thanks so much man!

By the way, love the picture of the lady and my home address :p I'll definitely let you know when it gets here and I get started :)

15. BassBilodeau

BassBilodeau Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    Sherbrooke, Qc, Canada
    Builder of Bilodeau Basses
    HA HA! she looks like the "usual" standard Canada Post employee.

Morado will be great.

Maple is OK for a fretted instrument, but round wound strings on a fretless bass is not the best match. Maple fingerboard would dent easily.

16. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    This thread is one of my favorite reads since the dude that bought the girl the Ibanez Mikro. Way to go T2W!

17. T2W

T2W Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    I figured Id leve the address on the pic in case anyone else wants to send you some goodies, haha, also cuz im lazy and dont wanna figure out how to take it off in paint or something.

Even my own life was given to me, so I figure sharing is the way to go !!

18. CanadaMan

CanadaMan Guest

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg, Canada
    He even shipped it express :) I can't wait now, I'm itching to get this project started already. I need to pickup a pickup and some tuners though and then this thing will get underway.

I'm gonna get mailed some Anthrax now, y'know, and then that good board will go to waste :p It's all good, I'm sure the good folks of TB won't think anything of it anyhow.

Thanks again, and since I haven't mentioned it yet, happy holidays to everyone this year and be safe. :)
    -CM

19. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    wait... so that was free?

20. T2W

T2W Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    completely