35" scale strings for 4 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by B-Mac, Sep 19, 2018.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

I'd still like to know the 35" scale 4 string bass we're talking about here. Partly because I like them and always keep an eye out for one.

Bassbeater likes this.
  2. AdamR

AdamR Inactive

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Any long scale set should work. I buy 4 string sets for.my 5 string and order a single low.B its 35" scale Spector

3. B-Mac

B-Mac Happiness is a Warm Puppy and a Great Bass Supporting Member

This
    Post Your $100 Bass

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    maybe @B-Mac meant to restring his 35" bass(es) with 2 pcs bridge like Tune-O-Matic with tail piece separated very far away or maybe with Bigsby Tremolo bridge? :D

5. B-Mac

no problem with my 2009 4003

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

good luck with your instrument collection, your string quest, and your relationships! :thumbsup:

B-Mac likes this.
  7. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    It is legal, I started by being popular with chicks as a backdoor man in high school.
    It’s when you get older it loses its charm.

B-Mac likes this.
  8. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    A 5 string set isn’t any longer, it just has one extra/thicker string.

Unless you’re using a bass with a string through body, just about every single long scale set on the market will work for a 35” scale bass.

You may not want to go XL scale at all: you’ll likely end up with an E string that still has a full diameter winding past the post, which will snap the string as it tries to wrap around the post under tension.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    B-Mac likes this.
  9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Some long scale strings have 36.5" winding length, which might not work for some 35" scale bass, even for stringing on top of bridge. Couple that I'm aware of are GHS and Elixir Strings.

I have an Ibanez BTB which needs 37" winding length strings to clear pass the nut (string on top of bridge only, no thru body option). It came with Elixir NPS strings Extra Long Scale (38" winding length) and when I had wanted to change them to Elixir Stainless Steel set to get brighter tone and still retain their smoothness and longevity due to their Nanoweb coating, turned out they had the Stainless Steels version only in Long Scale (36.5" winding length), thus I had to choose other brand of stainless steel strings for this bass.

Then when I looked at GHS strings, with their Progressives and Super Steels as possible choices, the gauges that I like (basically 45-105 and 130) were only available in their 36.5" winding length. They haven't made all of their long scale sets to their latest 37.25" winding length.

B-Mac and MDBass like this.
  10. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    Lot of talk about winding lengths. Too bad this information seems to be top secret and never included by the manufacturers. Instead it's a hog-pog of labels which mean nothing.

11. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I've been playing a Ibanez BTB200 35" scale for close to 3 years. Strings have never been a problem, I've been buying long scale, all different brands. I put several wraps on the post coming from the the guitar side of things habit.

12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Good to know, my post is amended.

13. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    You said "Baloney Buns."
    Now I know what to call My next band!!! :hyper:

mmbongo and Dwight Trash like this.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Don't most 4 string sets work for 35?

15. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    It is available, but often you have to visit the official brand's product page and hunt for the info.

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    DMV
    4e95478182f3a27be1e244ff4e08c883951e0992c2c10ed419626b12259ec6cd.jpg

Gearhead17 likes this.
  17. B-Mac

My sentiments exactly!

bertthebassist likes this.
  18. GHS is one company who's been diligently working on changing it, although they're not completely there yet. Some of their packages do include the info on the winding length.

d9sn36oPR_ZuIXnAcczIxa2i1Ri1oMtnVzfvwKPpeowDh5Ho-fiwGy1bSz4xLYwZNkU3udAyz04EHeLDb0FvZBOg=s450-no.jpg
    6Nm0sr0LO-TYEMXnJVa6LjCZryXclasJdwaANoDjvrcK9XgxcL59J7fk4N5DMjg6chKRhJbSA8djl_5RLEw_qdME=s450-no.jpg
    ndGD18WkhnHQkVB2RAm6gk9UXLKM_MnoYIgWIEiWtp8mtm9eYZkygdmuIEW5bS-e3b6Djbpnlohqgh_NGdA=w450-h449-no.jpg

Bassbeater likes this.
  19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I think the OP has things backwards - the issue isn't gettin strings to work with 35 inch scale basses, it's getting them to work with 34's. Strings that I buy nowadays all seem to be made to accomodate 35 inch scale length. On my basses with Fender style headstocks (4 in line), I have gone to adding a string through option to the E string so that I don't end up winding the fat part of the E string around the tuner.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  20. I understand what you're saying...

For most manufacturers, "long scale" USED TO mean 36.5" in winding length, but some have gone to 37.25" in recent years in order to make them fit more basses with different scale lengths (34" vs. 35") and stringing methods (top-load vs. thru-body).

I personally haven't had any issues using strings with 37.25" winding length, but one set of strings I use only come in 38". That means the E string is about an inch too long to properly fit on my Fender P bass top-loaded.

Gearhead17 likes this.