ACG onboard preamp (ACG/John East design)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emjazz, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi Angus.

I don't actually instal a 02 pre-amp very often I use the 01 version. However I understand your point about retro fitting pre-amps with boards into cavities they were not specifically designed for.
    I will take a picture of the next bass I finish. I find it is usually the ground wires that clutter up the cavity. I have a belt and braces approach to grounding so it results in 5 ground wires in the cavity all joining the main jack ground. I am working on a shielding/grounding tutorial at the moment as I have found most of the problems people have with the installation are grounding based.

2. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I really want one of these preamps and was going to get one months ago, but twist of fate and I ended up trading the bass I was going to drop it into.

I wonder how it would sound in a Ric???
    :D

3. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I think there is someone with one in a Ric I saw it on TB but have no idea where or who owns it. So a lot of use I am.

4. Looking forward to it!

5. alexlotta

alexlotta

Jul 1, 2005
    Triest,italy
    Did'nt find about: How long last battery on those ?

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I haven't measured scientifically, but the battery lasts approximately as long as those in my basses with Bart preamps. Pretty normal active bass battery life.

7. alexlotta

alexlotta

Jul 1, 2005
    Triest,italy
    thanks^
    Usually It's easier to get technicals on stuff like that, ma absorbment and so on pdf or whatever.

I was checking there and there to see frequency range and stuff like that (to understand How It would react to pickups i have )
    and above all ,

If that Pre could be used to simulate different pickup position through emphasis on resonance.
    It's just an assumption,
    But a while ago a german Guy did the same stuff (filter lowband +resonance ) for the same porpouse ,
    stating it could be a possible tone-approach .

Til now Just i got that lower cutoff is around 70hz and reach abot 3khz ,pretty wide so i believe a slight touch could alter tone a lot.
    And many "famous" resonances i believe are in that range (found a tab on the net)
    Interesting .

Still dunno which range could cover the Highpass ,though i did read on bestbassgear it can go as low as 1khz,
    and also wonder , if the 2 controls high-lowband "crossfade" on the same frequency region ,what happen to the tone there.

I'm an ignorant on that theme,and Technically i can't possibly understand everything , but i'm quite intrigued by the sonic possibilities ,honestly.

EDIT:sorry went a bit out of thread
    An external Unit like a PEDAL maybe would be Much more appealing ,leaving the choice to try the approach on Guitars or different basses,
    since this "Commervial" version works on the blended signal and do not process resonance for every pickup.
    Well ...i guess i went out ,since this thread is dedicated to the onboard pre..sorry i'll edit

8. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    You can't simulate pickup position with preamp filtering like that, because pickup position resonance is string specific and dependent on the tuning of the string. You'd need a separate output for each string feeding it's own filter (Like on a Roland V-bass or whatever it's called).

EDIT: You'd also need several bands of "cut" filtering to simulate the comb filtering effect of pickup position, and a source that hasn't already been subject to it, like a piezo (or a mag extremely close to the bridge)

Back OT:
    It should be possible however, to simulate the different resonance characteristics of single coil/series/parallel/overwound/underwound pickups, but you probably knew that.

Question: Are there any plans of adding a bass EQ control to the circuit?

9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Having only played with the Wal, Alembic, and Bartolini EZQ systems and not the ACG, I generally found a wide range of usable settings (along with a lot of "iffy" ones), but I don't think it's a particularly effective way to simulate different pickup positions.

As LowB-ing said, the resonance is specific to each string. Think of the changes in tone from the neck to the bridge pickup as more like a change in which harmonic overtones are emphasized and which are de-emphasized. When you change the pickup's location under the vibrating string, the balance among all those overtones changes, and specific frequencies of each of those multiple overtones depends on which note the string is tuned to, so it's not just a question of boosting or cutting a specific frequency range.

Mike

10. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That is the one thing I missed a bit on my Wals--the ability to just bump up the bass a little bit without affecting anything else. Fortunately, that tends to be more of an "overall" setting rather than an on-the-fly tonal change, so it's pretty easy to take care of with the amp's EQ.

You could probably add on of the East stacked bass/treble units into the circuit, but it starts to seem like overkill on something that's already a pretty sophisticated EQ.

Mike

11. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    You do know that Wals have a regular bass EQ control (per pickup!) but it's hidden inside the control cavity. Right? ;)
    EDIT: Not what you need for a quick fix, but still...

12. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    Treble would definitely be overkill, but bass would be useful.

13. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yep.

Actually, it's not a regular bass EQ, just a variable bass cut, and was not included on the early 4-strings. Rumor has it that when the Wal 5 first came out, Ian Waller was afraid the low end might overwhelm some amps, so he added the low cut control.

Mike

14. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    Ah, didn't know it was cut only. I guess it didn't come "maxed" from the factory, as I've heard that one could turn the bass up with that trimpot. Meaning less bass cut.

15. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    You got it. Most of us turned them all the way up as soon as we figured out what they were!

Mike

16. alexlotta

alexlotta

Jul 1, 2005
    Triest,italy
    Yes Guy You are allright
    "it's not just a question of boosting or cutting a specific frequency range":well that would be a normal eq onboard job.

Abut as i said You are right saying that First Somehow you would have to cancel The inherent Resonance of the pickup , before to apply /forcing an "external resonance" .
    ANd YEs ,thinking more deeply ,in that" canceled case " (which is not possible anyway) it should be able to simulate just the pickup "charachter" (j,dual,series ,etc) and not the position of the pu to the string.

(...And yes it should be Roland "V-bass" ,maybe the most difficult bass Gear i met in a shop in my entire life,though the fretless simulation was stunning)
    _____
    Thanks guys ,very interesting thoughts.

17. JENDRAL BASS

JENDRAL BASS Guest

Sep 12, 2009
    Hi Skelf,

I just bought ACG EQ 2 Dlx plate type and had set it into my Fender J American Dlx (with single coil), and yes it's awesome preamp.

My question is about possibilities adding mini switch for Series/Pararel between neck and bridge pu ?
    I'd like to put mini switch on control plate but which type of swicth will work for system ? 3 way or just enough 2 way switch ? Advice for wiring diagram maybe ?

Thank you

JENDRAL

18. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I use switches for my own basses but those are all humbuckers. I am sure it is possible. If you got the pre-amp from Best Bass Gear Brian would be able to help you with the wiring. Failing that I can look into it for you.
    Alan

19. JENDRAL BASS

JENDRAL BASS Guest

Sep 12, 2009
    I've got the preamp from RDM few months ago.
    I'll ask Chernwei, thank's for replying.

20. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    I am sure Chernwei will be able to help you out.
    Alan