Active Electronic Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Razor, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Razor

Razor Guest

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ok everybody....got a question. I have an early 90's Fender P-Lyte that I recently purchased. I needed a back-up P while my Fender 78 goes in for some much needed work.

I actually have become quite taken with the P-Lyte because of two reasons; it's got a really fast neck like a jazz and sounds pretty darn good, and it doesn't weigh a ton.

My problem is this, it's been years since I played/gigged with an active bass and this P-Lyte is eating 9 volts like crazy. I'm getting about 7-8 hours of play-time with each battery. When I changed the first battery I had the "priviledge" of looking at the pre-amp.......it definately leaves much to be desired. Looks like someone just poured a cup of hot stuff on it and closed it up. I cleaned it up as best I could but I still get a lot of hum and noise out of it.

Any opinions/suggestions as to what I could do to alleviate the noise is appreciated. I have toyed with the possibility of replacing the pick-ups with quarter pounders and just replacing the preamp alltogether. Any thoughts on a good preamp that would match with this bass?

I'm throwing this out to you all before I leave for vacation in the hopes I'll have a ton of replies when I get back in a few days. (Haha)

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read/reply......I appreciate yall's time.

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Something is really wrong with that preamp - battery should last a year, if not more. I'd take it to a guitar tech to be repaired, or take a look at U-Retro preamp - do a search on Talkbass for info on that beast.

3. Im not massively up on the electronics side of things, but going by your description of the rather..unique fitting job they did of the pre-amp, I'd take an educated guess and say perhaps something is shorting? that would explain the unusually low battery life. on a brave day I'll tinker with the innards of my various guitars but then theres always the chance it could go wrong, and if its something close to you - best not take the risk, as Brooks says take it to a guitar tech.

4. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had a P-Lyte and only changed the battery every six months - and it usually didn't need it then. Do you unplug the cord when you aren't playing? The power is switched on when you plug your cord in, so if you leave it plugged in all the time the battery will die fast.

5. Razor

Razor Guest

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    A belated thanks to everyone for the responses.
    I am currently looking into new pickups/preamp for the Lyte and I am swaying towards EMG. I think they'll give me more of an edgy sound as opposed to bart's (and the price on bart's is the other reason). From what I have heard the bart's seem to have a filler, warmer sound and since the I am only using the Lyte for live stuff that'll probably suit my taste more. I took the Lyte to a tech and he opened it up and wasn't too surprised. Said it was a typical MIJ electronics job and there were shorts all over the pots basically causing the battery drain whether or not a 1/4 inch was plugged in or not. I'm just gonna re-do it all......the Lyte is a good enough player in my book to warrant the upgrade.
    Thanks again everyone.......as always TB rules.
    Alan