active or pasive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by veggieboy, Apr 23, 2002.

1. active electronics

27 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. pasive electronics

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. it doesn't mater

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. veggieboy

veggieboy Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    Montreal, Quebec
    what do you prefer???

2. All things being equal I prefer passive. I just like simplicity. Also, take a good passive bass with a good tone, add an outboard pre-amp and there's your active bass; Mr. Battery craps out and you can still play.

Mike J.

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I prefer passive over active anyday.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Depends on the sound, and depends on the bass. Active, passive, whatever. Does it SOUND good?

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    one of each, at least...

6. ldiezman

ldiezman Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I picked active simply because thats what I use now. However... it really depends. I DOES matter... Some passive basses rock the house down... some don't. Same thing with Active basses. It really depends on the bass and the person

7. s_boy

s_boy Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    gloucester, nc
    i like passive p/ups... but i like active eq. that is what i play. the eq is the weak link for the tone in my opinion as long as you have decent p/ups.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Whatever. I don't really care as long as the bass sounds good. I have actives and passives, and I like them all, except for the Soundgear.

9. RAM

RAM Guest

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have both but get more versatility out of my active. Thus, I picked active.

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda Guest

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    It's all personal. People like what they hear. So go out there and try them! Don't take other's words because it is all personal.

DM:D

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Agreed.

All the best,

12. Whatever does it for you!!!

I have two permanently active basses, two switchable pacssive/active basses and a completely passive bass. I'm actually looking at adding a pssive bass to my collection right now. It's all about sounds - if they get the sound you want doesn't matter if they're active or passive.

Generally though, I play the active ones - and where I play the ones with the option, they're on active mode!

13. I'm with Mike J on this one. I prefer simplicity. If I want to adjust for tone, I'll do that through an outboard, effects, or my amp. Too many knobs and switches and I get all confused.

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Both for sure! My spector american active because of the awsome power i get from it! Great for slap and funk! But i love my 92 warwick corvette pass because she is so sweet sounding! Great for jazz. But i love my 67 fender pass because she has her own sound all together!

15. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString Guest

Apr 30, 2002
    Exactly, I had a custom passive 6 with barts (passive soapbars) and it was gorgeous. Also my old Fenders sound great. However, I voted for active because almost all of my basses are active :).

16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey guys and gals,

When is the juice being sucked out of the battery, when it's plugged in and the amp is on OR just when a cord is plugged into the guitar? Just curious...

17. Nick man

Nick man Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    With most basses, the batery drains when the cord is in the bass's output jack.

I voted actice, because its great to be able to have a frequency curve in one direction without taking away from the tone. For example: Id rather dial in some boost on my bass knobs, than cut the treble from a passive bass. I feel like Im not losing anything from the sound as I would when cutting the trebble on a passive bass, and on a good pre-amp, it sounds organic and full.

On the other hand, it really stinks to depend on a batery, and be screwed when it cuts out in the middle of a gig. Thats why I love my G&L. Its got an active/passive switch, and separate bass and trebble knobs for passive mode, unlike some preamps which dont even feature a passive trebble cut on their passive circuits.

The G&L is a great bass for those who like the sounds of both active and passive basses, especially if you are unsure about reliability.

Peace
    Nick

18. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I need the actives to satisfy my need to tweak. I hate dead or dying batteries though and wish I could have an on-off switch put in. My Cirrus drains batteries quickly. I would be satisfied with a Roscoe Beck 5 if I was forced to go passive.