Almost maybe NAD ?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maxime1980, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Hi all!
    After a disastrous Rumble 500 amp purchase last Feb. (Store + shipping company delivered to wrong apt address and package was signed but not by me and both shipping company and store refuse to refund me or send me another Rumble combo.... Absolute nightmare!), i managed to put enough money aside to buy an amp and after much searching and debating and youtube videos and reviews and discussions on TB, my eyes are on the blackstar U500 as it fits what i want (more suitable to rock/punk/metal from ehat i gathered, plenty o effects, 500W, affordable ie 50$ more compared to the Rumble500 (849.00$ CAD). The thing is this : unfortunately, not store around me have it in stock so i cannot try it in person...
    Considering the "newness" of it compared to other companies (Fender, Peavey, Ampeg, etc.), how much of a chance to be disappointed am i taking here ?!
    Pros and cons ?!

Merci!:)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Are you sure they don't have one at Steve's on St Catherine St. to try?

3. Verifying on their website, it says it is out of stock?!
    Otherwise, that would be a good place to try out some amps.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    They have 2 locations so I'd call them to see for sure.

Maxime1980 likes this.
  5. Update :
    I did try the Rumble again and liked it as well.
    I did try the amp at Steve's in Montréal a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it !!
    Even though i was slightly thorn between the two amps, i finally made up my mind and decided on the Blackstar U500 combo last night with a reputable online store with whom i made business in the past.
    It is quite a bit of dough at once for me, but i felt like that is the one thing i need to have : a great bass amp.
    I hope it will stand the test of time in terms of playability, features, sound palette and yes, a lot of fun and discovery to experience playing bass with a quality bass amp.
    (And i hope it will not be too loud for my neighbors!!!! :roflmao::p )

In short, i am quite happy with my decision and hope it will show up to it's merits ! :bassist::woot::hyper:

6. I finally got the amp, unboxed it and examined it. It weighs a bloody lot, but seems very well built.
    I plugged in the amp and it does power up and the red light does not light up indicating that it is turned on.
    I have tried a few wall power outlets and the amp still does not power on.
    I immediately contacted the store, whom simply stated that i can send it back and ask for a replacement OR a refund without any problems.
    I really am at loss here..... :dead::thumbsdown::sour:

Could it be that i simply got a lemon and that there are generally not issues w/ Blackstar amps or amps in general ?!?

Anyone had a similar situation ?

Would trying to plug the amp through a power bar (regular outlets, widely spaced adapter outlets, surge indicator light, lighted on/off switch with built-in circuit breaker, and steel housing and built in cord wrap feature, 1050 joules of surge protection, etc.) as opposed to simply plug the amp through the wall directly be a solution to the issue i am experiencing or could be the issues unrelated to this ?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    No power strip, power bar or power protection device is going to male a lick of practical difference for a bass amp (no matter what the marketing may suggest.

If it's not working properly, return it for another, or a different model.

Maxime1980 likes this.