Ampeg or SWR 750X??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sleevey55, Dec 15, 2013.

1. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    AM looking to purchase either a SWR750x or an Ampeg amp/pre amp. Can any of you on here help me out? I have heard alot of bad things about the SWR 750X as far as reliability. Have read that these are great sounding, but they WILL break down regularly. Thoughts? As for An Ampeg, I used to have an SVT4 Pro, and as amuch as I loved the tone, it too broke down regularly........actually had 2 new ones and they both were unreliable. The Ampeg was circa 2004ish as I recall.

Anyways, what Ampegs out there are reliable (years, models ect) that will still give me that great tone??
    Again, Im just being paranoid and I dont want to buy a problem.
    Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You must have had a couple flukey 4 Pros. Not very often I hear of them breaking down. Not familiar with the 750x aside from an occasional plug-in at the stores, but I used to have an SM-500 that I preferred over the 750x and did a handful of gigs with an SM-900 that I also preferred.

3. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Preferred the SM? Why is that? What did you like about it more?

4. A lot of people seem to prefer other SWR heads to the 750X. I have never done any direct comparison, but I liked my Bass350 to the 750X I played once in a backline. Sounded thinner?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Not really sure ;) Like I said, it was just a couple quick tryouts at the store a few years back. But I seemed to be able to get a sound quicker with the SM-500 and 900 whereas I never quite got a sound I liked out of the 750x. I suppose I could have if I had more time, but in those quick tryouts it wasn't happening for me so I moved on.

6. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Ok, so largely as a group, you guys feel the Ampeg SVT4 is solid? Every year?

7. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I have had SWR 350x, 750, 750x, SM900 they all were great but I settled in with the cheaper SWR Workingpro 700 this sounded better to me than all the others listed above. I ran that through a 810 with my Fender P for a long time. Then I screwed up and tried a Ampeg. I'm sure you can figure out the rest. This probably didn't help you out that much at all. Sorry.