Ampeg SVT-410HLF Speaker Replacement Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BLeal, Aug 27, 2018.

1. BLeal

BLeal

Aug 27, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Hello everyone,

I'm back on the forum after a long time away (~10 yrs). Just created a new account and look forward to getting back into the community.

My question is as follows.

I currently play in a few bands, mainly Funk/R&B but also occasionally play in a couple rock bands around the area. My main giging rig is a Fender Jazz through a beautiful Ampeg SVT CL (Last year USA Made) into a Ampeg SVT-410HLF (Chinese made). I love the sound of the rig and really don't desire anything else tone wise. My only problem is hauling around the 410HLF as it is ~115lbs which has started to get old over the years. I need the larger cabinet as the main band that I play in is a 7 piece Funk band that can get pretty loud and we play decent sized gigs (200-300 people rooms) and outdoors frequently. I have looked into the Pro Neo cabinets but I would just hate to loose the look of the CL style of cabinet as it matches the SVT CL perfectly.

I am considering changing out the speaker for Neo speakers to save 15ish lbs. I know that the first answer is going to be just sell the cabinet and get something more modern thinking that it will be more cost effective. I am only $200 into this cabinet and have been using it for about 4 years (100's of gigs). Just wondering if anyone has swapped out the speakers for Neo speakers in one of these cabinets to save a bit of weight and maintain that classic look.

Any input as to weather or not this has ever been done successfully would be great. Also great to be back!

R/

2. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Swapping drivers in a ported cab like the 410HLF requires some science as the cabinet is tuned to match the OEM speakers. Both the internal cabinet volume and port length have to be taken into account when selecting a new driver, and you may need to change the port tube length. There is a program called WinISD that is referenced a lot around here that allows you to try a few different driver parameters against your enclosure’s specs.

I’m surprised that you say your 410HLF is 115 pounds, though, as that is what the 610HLF is said to weigh. Your weight savings estimate post-swap is accurate, however. I have a sealed Ampeg 410HE I swapped Eminence SC10-16 drivers into, which are specifically intended for sealed cabinets. I also removed the tweeter and crossover while I was at it and the cab went from 75 to 57 pounds!

3. BLeal

BLeal

Aug 27, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Voided3.

Thanks for your input. I understand that changing the drivers in a ported cabinet is somewhat of a science/pseudoscience. This is precisely why I am asking the community here if it has ever been done successfully.

I have not put my cabinet on the scale but it seem as they have gotten lighter over the years due to thinner/particleboard construction. I'm shocked to see on Ampeg's website that a new HLF weights in at 85lbs!!! I recall that when I was shopping for them ~10 years ago they were 110lbs+ as quoted by Ampeg. The particular cabinet that I have is definitely heavy and does have the original emininece speakers. I can confirm that it is substantially heavier than the Eden 410XLT that I used to run that weighed in at 98lbs. Maybe the answer is getting one of the newer models of Ampeg HLF's which are clearly lighter...Cost is not really an issue but I figured I would entertain the idea of changing out the drivers to save a few pounds for around $400 on a cabinet I have $200 in that I know is rugged and can take the abuse in lieu of $800 for a new one when clearly the weight loss is due to cheaper manufacturing with thinner wood/particleboard construction.

R/

BDL

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    The weight loss is not due to particleboard construction. All the newer ones made since like the middle of 2006 are made of actual plywood. The weight savings are because of slightly thinner boards with better bracing, and because of the type of wood used, which for the past few years has been poplar and was baltic birch, but poplar is a little lighter, I believe. Also, since about 2010 or 2011, the sound got tweaked...they're still super low end cabs but the overwhelming boominess has been tamed down and the mids are a bit more prominent. So unless you prefer the big boomy low end of the older cabs, you're not skimping on quality with a newer one. Especially if you go Heritage. I've heard the regular one and the Heritage side by side, and for an extra hundy the Heritage is the way to go. Definite improvement in tone. Regular one's good but the Heritage has a thing.

blubass likes this.
  5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    I don't wanna disagree with Jimmy but out of all the Ampeg cabinets the HLF probably has had the most significant changes too it over the years. And likewise major differences in weight and likewise port tuning and driver changes.

I forget the member and also I believe a manufacturer who personal has done or observed changes to the HLF. Atleast 3 different tunings have been reported at 60hz 45hz and 30hz

Tunings were mentioned cause been arguments what driver is used and if it's the same driver as the sealed cabinets. Often stirred cause the part numbers have been different.

Anyways if you do have a heavier cabinet which yes means more particle board. A neo swap won't really help much. 15 pounds isn't really much.

Likewise I can say you could greatly improve the cab quality and sound sticking with heavier ceramics. You'll need a speaker that is designed for ported. That's easy to find

The eminence stamp steel factory speakers barely do 92/93dB each and somewhat known to be mud buckets

The higher quality cast frame eminence speakers have higher sensitivity around 95 to 96 dB and have much more clear mids/highs

Aside from the usual neo suggestions. The CA series and the Eden CA series that are now available. Will kick the factory speakers in the arse

I don't know the factory volume. But I'll assume it's the same old .9 cubic feet per driver that ampeg typically uses. Which is absolutely fine for the CA drivers

If your cabinet is tuned at 60 , 45 or 30 the 60 Hz tuning or 45hz would be ok for neo. And the 45hz or 60hz tuning would be ok for the CA drivers.

So be good idea if you want to endeavor a neo or CA swap. Measure the actual internal dimensions/volume. And how many ports there is. The actual port exit size and the port length. And the volume and tuning can be determined.

Pretty sure it will be around .9 per driver
    Which is fine for many drivers.
    Well not for my tastes but follows typical ampeg sound which is little more ripple or boominess I'd use. But gives the design a little more power handling. Which I'll assume is their design choices. Be cool if the used 1 to 1.3 and be good surprise if they did

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Depends if you want a 8ohm or 4ohm cab or plan on bypassing or using the tweeter.

I'd run it no tweeter all drivers in parallel

If you use 4x32 ohm drivers 8ohms
    If you use 4x16 ohm drivers 4ohms

If you use 4x8 ohm drivers in series/parallel 8ohms

Neo

Basslite SC10-16 94dB
    Basslite SC10-32 94dB

Cast frames

Legend CA10-16 96dB
    Legend CA10-32 96dB

Cast frame Eden

Legend CA1059-8 96dB
    Legend CA1059-16 96B

I'll assume 3.6 to 3.8 cabinet volume
    Fine for all those drivers
    Be better surprise if ampeg pushed it
    To 4 or 4.6
    Also fine for all those drivers

Recommended tuning 45 to 55hz for SC drivers
    Recommended tuning 50 to 60 Hz for CA
    Drivers

Nuage420 likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You're not really disagreeing with me on that. I mentioned some of the differences my own self. I just don't know what all they did technically.

8. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    The Eminence neo driver you would want for a ported cab is the Basslite S2010, which has a sensitivity of 96.2 dB. The Basslite SC10-16 and SC10-32 are optimized for sealed cabs, which is why the sensitivity is lower than the S2010 as the cone/suspension is designed to work in a fixed air space and still have good low end extension.

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    True, the 8 ohm basslite would work. And figured it come up. I don't like series /parallel wiring. And if used this would be the wiring for 8ohm. I suggested all parallel wiring which is why a use the 16 or 32 ohm drivers. EBP is in the 80's which would be good for ported and sealed
    To be fair really to all the drivers. The averaged sensitivity is higher for the 8ohm. But if you look at the low-end performance of all the sc basslite 10" drivers. The sensitivity is roughly the same and averages 94/95 dB

I don't care for neos much. But luckily this is a ported cabinet. So even the high quality cast frame neo kappas might be good candidates As well. Personally I've never heard or modeled the 10" neo kappas.

I usually try to recommend drivers I've heard and used. And I've had good amount of experience with the SC neos and especially the cast frame CA drivers.
    And recommended them. But agreed the higher sensitivity is appealing.

10. acubass

acubass

Oct 10, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I would recommend, selling your cabinet and going for the Heritage 410HLF. Mine is 76lbs? Or about so. I can dead lift it if necessary. It is lighter than the 410HE. IMO it is still a PITA to move, I’d rather the casters be on the bottom. But... they aren’t.

11. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    You'd have to find someone who swapped the exact same speakers you want, in an identically constructed cab (due to the differences). After that, you'd have to trust that their opinion and your own are the same concerning anything important with the sound.

It would seem easier and more cost effective to replace what you have, with what you want. Modifications are a slippery slope for even an experienced builder, and can be worse for the more discerning player who is really into a particular tone.

12. BLeal

BLeal

Aug 27, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Well that was quick...

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I did not realize that the newer models are so much lighter than the older HLF's. Went down to guitar center and tested out and purchased a new Heritage 410 HLF. Sounds GREAT and is definitely a lot lighter than my old mini fridge which I just listed on craigslist. A much simpler solution than swapping speakers and once I unload my old HLF the cost will be comparable and ended up lighter than swapping out the 4 drivers with Neo.

Thanks again for the advice.

R/

BDL

Bass 45, voided3 and JimmyM like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It was almost as quick as it took for you to act on it :D For the extra hundy, to me it's a no brainer to go Heritage when it comes to the 410hlf. Hope you enjoy it!

14. BLeal

BLeal

Aug 27, 2018
    Maine, USA
    Yeah I'm thrilled Jimmy. Glad to be back & Glad you are still active here. Wealth of knowledge. Remember reading your posts when I was on years ago! Wish I could remember my old logon ID haha was in high school/college at the time.

R/

BDL

JimmyM likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well welcome back, man, and I hope you find your true identity one day :D

ravlin likes this.
  16. dimitris rigas

dimitris rigas Commercial User

Oct 20, 2019
    hi jimmy,i recently got an svt cl and i had the 4x10 he cab in 8 ohm,so i think to buy the hlf 4 ohm,is this a wise move?and if i take the hlf new one how do i know that its the "boomy" free version?thanks

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    A wise move depends on a couple of things ... are you going to be using the 410hlf by itself with the SVT or were you thinking of running both cabs together? As a standalone it should be fine. And you could probably run both together without problem but it's not recommended because it gives you a weird 2.6 ohm impedance, and I don't think they sound quite as good as they do when you run them at a straight up 4 or 2 ohms.

The other thing I should mention is the boominess in the 410hlf is not gone entirely. It still has a way big low end response with some boom. But in about 2010 I believe, they tweaked the sound to make it less boomy and add back more mid-range. If you buy a new one, it'll almost certainly be one of the less boomy ones. Frankly if you can swing it, the Heritage model is totally the way to go.

18. dimitris rigas

Oct 20, 2019
    thank you jimmy.right now i run the svt on the 8 ohm 4x10 HE cab,i like it but i am afraid i am going to hurt the amp,from what i hear.others say do it,others not,whats your opinion?to stay with the 8 ohm HE or go down to 4 ohms with the hlf? i must say that i am in europe so we have the european voltage.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It is not what the company says, and like I said I don't care for the sound of it running at 8 ohms as much as running at 4 ohms, but the co-inventor of the SVT says they are perfectly fine to run at 8 ohms. I've done it on gigs before with rented svt's and I've never had a problem. Personally, the 410hlf is not my thing so I use an 810e e with my SVT. But if I only wanted to use a 410, I would do just what you are doing. The difference in sound, to be totally honest, is nitpicking, but since I have the choice to nitpick, I do :)

20. dimitris rigas

Oct 20, 2019
    the truth is that for now i like the svt with the HE cab,and i dint want to spend more money on a new cab,my second thoughts are about the svt safe usage,so i think about the hlf.but i wanted your opinion, so maybe i stick with the curent rig if you would too!dou you think to add a 210 svt he cab 200 watt with the 4x10 he would be a good idea?or it will mess the sound?

JimmyM likes this.