Any removed their stingray's pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, May 29, 2011.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Been toying with the idea recently and I dont see too many people doing it. Mine is a rosewood neck/ vintage white w black pickguard combination. My friend said the ray looks much better without the pickguard.

I know some of u guys will say get a transparent one, but for me its out of the question. Those things look hideous imo

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Here's my 92 SR5. I took the pickguard off but I had a clear cover made for the electronics.

Attached Files:

3. i know Tim Commerford of RATM took his off in the early days of RATM...

[​IMG]

4. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I removed the pg from both of my Rays. I agree with you, they look silly, and remind me of a toilet seat with the pg on....esp. a black one.

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Now that you mentioned it, damn. !

My only concern would be that it would be a little harder to slap n pop without the PG since the gap between body and strings would be wider.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I have the pg off my sterling. It was white and I thought it looked like an egg, now it looks much better.
    Before:
    basspics015-2.jpg

After:
    DSC01013.jpg

kkaarrll likes this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Looks like he took off more than the pickguard! I wonder how much Stringray is actually left in that thing?

8. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Guest

Mar 30, 2011
    Queens
    i dunno, i think the PG on mine makes it look even sexier...

197034_10150118995726918_509486917_6576360_4367487_n2.jpg

9. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I believe all he did was just took out the PG and maybe swooped the bridge(looks lik a badbass II).

10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    He rewinds all his own pups, and I have a feeling it prolly has a different preamp in it...

11. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Thats only for his jazz basses from what ive read. TBH, I actually prefer his jazz tone over his stingray's. His jazz tone was more cutting, surprisingly. Could be due to the fact that the bass was lower in the mix for their first album.

But even live, his tone is too clanky imo

YouTube - ‪Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name - 1993‬‏

btw, nice bass u got there. got the whole jaco thing going.

12. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I gotta say, I like the pickguard. Without it it looks much less ray-ish, like any other double cut bass. But, as always, it's your bass.

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    As far as I know, he didn't start doing that until after he switched to Jazzes.
    On the album it sounds like a stock 2-band Ray to me...one of my favorite tones.

14. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    WOW- my hats off to you bro! My slap n pop is so bad, I'd never notice that 1/16th of an inch difference a missing PG would make. :p:bassist:

Back OT though, I also remember Garry Tallent from the E Street Band played his natural Ray w/no PG. You can see it in the video for "Rosalita" YouTube - ‪Bruce Springsteen - Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)‬‏ Theres a decent shot around 4:10.
    Personally, I dont like the white PG's so I'd lose a white one without much of a thought.

15. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    bump

16. arsie

arsie Guest

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    I removed my WBW one...to put a White Pearloid one on.

It's the signature look. Removing it is like swapping out a Lakland's bridge. Anyway, I feel naked without a pickguard.

17. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    If it was not for the unsightly screw holes I agree they would look better without PG's. Especially the sunburst fretless

18. Bread Knife

Bread Knife

Oct 8, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I like the pickguard on mine, but black on black isn't much different than just black.