Anyone know the difference between the Warwick GPS series and the other German made Warwicks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SirMjac28, Mar 31, 2015.

1. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
  2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Commercial User

Sep 16, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Retail store manager
    Looks like a wenge vs. ovankol neck, bronze vs. nickel frets and brass vs. chrome bridge. Plus the case and a nifty letter from the company.
    I have an older Corvette with the wenge, bronze and brass and sounds like you'd expect. Maybe others can chime in if there's much of a difference.

JanusZarate, anavar and SirMjac28 like this.
  3. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Thanks so much I was thinking it's something like the SG standard and the SG faded.

4. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    regular german = Wenge neck, wenge boards, bell bronze frets, brass just a nut, glow in the dark side dotes, brass bridge. 2 peice bodies

Pro series german = ovangkol neck, wenge boards, nickle silver?? frets, tedur just a nut, glow in the dark side dots, alloy bridge, 3 peice bodies.

I think there both will share the IFT fret thingo. so thats a plus.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I think this series was made in Korea before? thanks so much for the info

6. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I'm pretty sure the current GPS are basically rough built/routed out by Warwick in Germany, then the detailed finish work is outsourced to local non-Warwick shops. Still very much quality instruments.

Matthew_84 and SirMjac28 like this.
  7. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    yeah the Korean pro series was from 2011-2013 i think...

killer instrument, and stupid cheap too. i own 2

SirMjac28 likes this.
  8. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Sound wise are they the same as non pro series?

anavar likes this.
  9. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my 2011 pro series thumb bass bolt on sounds just like my 2004 german Thumb NT.

the mid control does mean i can get more bark from the NT but when left at the centre detent, its the same. I even upgraded the 04 model with a brass nut and they still sound the same.

out of my basses

Infinity NT 4 string
    Pro series corvette bubinga 5
    pro series thumb Bolt on 5
    NT thumb 5 string.

the best sounding is the corvette. Meaty and growly. strung with Dr High beams and it just sings.

10. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Very cool thanks and I like the Corvette also

11. Current Warwick Pro Series are crafted in Germany, assembled in same Chinese plant as Warwick Rockbasses.

12. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Not the "German Pro Series", which was the subject of this thread. Easy to verify direct with Florin on Warwick.de forum if unclear.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  13. Hmm, you seem to be right... That's a bit odd - Warwick must have changed paths just before the release of the German Pro Series line.

Initially, when they decided to close the Korean factory last year, the Pro Series line was to be crafted in Germany, and assembled in China, and was stated as such for a long time. It seems now they've changed that though and are crafting most of the pieces in the German Warwick factory, and then outsourcing the fitting and finishing aspects to little shops within Germany.

SirMjac28 and Goatrope like this.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

SirMjac28 likes this.
  15. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
  16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    I'm surprised to see nickel silver frets on the new German Pro Series models. The late-model Korean Pro Series basses opted for their bell bronze frets.

EDIT: Warwick describes them as bell bronze, not brass.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    SirMjac28 likes this.
  17. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Is there any difference? I haven't played a bass with brass frets.

18. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    I meant to say bell bronze frets. Just corrected that. ;)

Warwick says they're more durable and have unique overtones - they describe it as "combining the sound of a bass guitar with the transparency and the abundance of overtones of the ringing of a church bell". I honestly am skeptical on whether the frets contribute that much to tone, though, considering that nickel silver fretwire is an industry standard (the common alternative being stainless steel, which to me has no perceivable tonal difference).

I own a Korean Pro Series Corvette 5-string with bell bronze frets, but I haven't had it long enough to comment on durability, or if there is a perceivable difference in tone compared to a Warwick bass with nickel silver frets. It sounds just like a German Corvette to me, and that's all that matters. :D

SirMjac28 likes this.
  19. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's exactly what I want to hear thanks.

20. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    That website says they're the official US distributor for Warwick, but they don't have very many basses. Do they get updated inventory, or are they just selling the Dana B. Goods inventory, and when that's gone they're done?

edit for an update: I decided to call the number on the website. The basses listed on the website are all 2007-2008 Warwicks from Dana B. Goods. They have multiple copies of the listed instruments (so about 40 basses in stock). Since they are an authorized dealer, they can get any Warwick that the US distributor has in stock, and can also do special orders. To find out if the distributor has what you want in stock (and how much), just send them an email.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    SirMjac28 likes this.