Away from my basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassmanDk, Feb 28, 2006.

1. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    I have to leave my basses home unplayed for some months and i was wondering what I should do. I'm putting 'em down in the cases but should i tune down the strings? I'm thinking just a whole tone. Any advice?:confused:

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I would leave the strings alone. They will keep nice tension on the neck. Just put the basses in their cases.

3. DrGroovenstein

DrGroovenstein Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Um, aren't they sitting in the cases all the time since you have had them? What difference does it make if you aren't playing them. Not like your playing them increases the stiffness of the neck.

heheh.

In other words, just make sure they are in good repair, like oil any rosewood or ebony fingerboards, tune them to pitch, and keep them away from excessive moisture.

4. BassmanDk

BassmanDk

Nov 23, 2005
    Odense, Denmark
    Employee - 4Sound, Odense
    normally they sit in a RockStand ( big multiple bass holder ) 'coz i play them all the time. I've just heard it would be good for them to relax the strings if not played for a longer period

5. paul n

paul n Guest

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    I've always felt that was bad for the neck, tunning the bass down to store it. I've never understood where people got that idea. I think it's one of those old off-base bass facts, like "the truss rod is for raising and lowwering the action" and things like that.

In my opinion, the less you flex you basses neck the better. Ever bend a stick back and forth again and again, what happens? It breaks.

~Paul :)

6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Boston
    Yeah, here's my vote for not slackening the strings. If you saw, there was a letter in the latest BP from Grasshopper over at Bass Central, saying slackening the strings and retuning them for shipping or storage or whatever was not a good idea.
    -Alex