Ballpark retail for a MIM Jazz 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tzetze, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Tzetze

Tzetze Guest

I dropped into my local music shop today to pick up a strap and a new stand, and there on the wall were a pair of MIM's. A P and a J.

I stood there just admiring them both for a while, and then noticed the price tag. €675!!! :eek: ($675)

I was lead to believe that these basses were a lot more reasonably priced than this (maybe stupidly so). Can anyone let me know if this is in the right ballpark for a MIM J?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck Guest

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Pft. Under $400 is a given. $380 is normal, and I got mine for $350.

3. Yikes. Don't know how much basses generally go for in Ireland, but that's a bit much. Are you sure they were the standard MIMs and not the Deluxe MIMs? (Standard means no preamp and generally have a white pickguard; deluxe has a preamp and I think a tortoise pickguard). Also, there's a couple of other MIM models, I think, but generally not that expensive.

4. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    wasn't one of those MIM 60s classics, was it?

5. Well, about 9 months ago, I paid £379 for my MIM Fretless Jazz - imagine that, it's dearer not to put frets on it!

I seem t remember that they were doing the fretted versions for £329.

I'm guessing that would have made the fretless about $570, and the fretted about $450 and I guess that'll be roughly the same in Euros!

6. Tzetze

Tzetze Guest

This was a brand new MIM J 4 standard. (white pickguard)

Thanks for the heads up, I'll never buy a bass from these guys. Nevertheless, I got the stand and strap for €20, and ordered a replacement jack socket for my Aria from them.

Young guy behind the desk was very helpful and pleasant. Although, the fact that I was still suited up due to an interview one hour beforehand probably had a lot to do with how I was treated.

I'm on a personal mission now to see what's the best deal I can get on a MIM J in Ireland, and then take the details to these rip-off merchants. You know, just for s**** and giggles. ;)

7. MoltarRocks

MoltarRocks

Nov 18, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Also, if it has 4 knobs versus 3 knobs, it's the deluxe with the active electronics.

8. I could have sworn I saw a couple MIM jazzes for $250 at my local GC

9. When I was recently ordering my MIM Jazz V, the standard J was £350, which I think works out at about 550 euros. Its always more expensive over here rather than in the US, although 675 euros seems a bit over the top.

10. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller Guest

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I got my brand new 2002 MIM Jazz V for $299, I would imagine the 4 string version would be available for around $250 or so in the USA. I have no idea what the foreign market markup should be, though.

11. I got my MIM Jazz for $379.95 a year and a half ago.