Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ballpark retail for a MIM Jazz 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tzetze, Dec 9, 2002.

1. I dropped into my local music shop today to pick up a strap and a new stand, and there on the wall were a pair of MIM's. A P and a J.

I stood there just admiring them both for a while, and then noticed the price tag. €675!!! :eek: ($675)

I was lead to believe that these basses were a lot more reasonably priced than this (maybe stupidly so). Can anyone let me know if this is in the right ballpark for a MIM J?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Pft. Under $400 is a given. $380 is normal, and I got mine for $350.

3. Yikes. Don't know how much basses generally go for in Ireland, but that's a bit much. Are you sure they were the standard MIMs and not the Deluxe MIMs? (Standard means no preamp and generally have a white pickguard; deluxe has a preamp and I think a tortoise pickguard). Also, there's a couple of other MIM models, I think, but generally not that expensive.

4. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    wasn't one of those MIM 60s classics, was it?

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, about 9 months ago, I paid £379 for my MIM Fretless Jazz - imagine that, it's dearer not to put frets on it!

I seem t remember that they were doing the fretted versions for £329.

I'm guessing that would have made the fretless about $570, and the fretted about $450 and I guess that'll be roughly the same in Euros!

6. This was a brand new MIM J 4 standard. (white pickguard)

Thanks for the heads up, I'll never buy a bass from these guys. Nevertheless, I got the stand and strap for €20, and ordered a replacement jack socket for my Aria from them.

Young guy behind the desk was very helpful and pleasant. Although, the fact that I was still suited up due to an interview one hour beforehand probably had a lot to do with how I was treated.

I'm on a personal mission now to see what's the best deal I can get on a MIM J in Ireland, and then take the details to these rip-off merchants. You know, just for s**** and giggles. ;)

7. Also, if it has 4 knobs versus 3 knobs, it's the deluxe with the active electronics.

8. I could have sworn I saw a couple MIM jazzes for $250 at my local GC

9. When I was recently ordering my MIM Jazz V, the standard J was £350, which I think works out at about 550 euros. Its always more expensive over here rather than in the US, although 675 euros seems a bit over the top.

10. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I got my brand new 2002 MIM Jazz V for $299, I would imagine the 4 string version would be available for around $250 or so in the USA. I have no idea what the foreign market markup should be, though.

11. I got my MIM Jazz for $379.95 a year and a half ago.