Beautiful picture of Iceland!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    [​IMG]

Here is the larger version, it is in 2600x2000 and is about 900kb.
    Larger version of the picture...

It has been snowing heavily in Iceland this winter, as you can see in this picture :)

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Whoa, thats amazing. Thats beautiful! How far up is it taken?

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Don´t know, it´s from a satellite I suppose... great pic :)

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Yes, pretty much :)

Except in the capital area. Only small percentage of our land is occupied. Most of the cities, villages etc. are at the coastlines of Iceland.

There is a clear area at the lower left portion of Iceland, the capital and the biggest towns are there. There is less snow there, but as you can see most part of the country is covered with snow. That includes small villages all over the coastlines of Iceland.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

And that's why we call it Ice Land!! ;)

Serioulsy - what do you call the country in your own language - does it have any translation in English, different to "land of ice" ?

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Nope, it is a direct translation.

We call it Ísland

Ís = Ice
    land = land :)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I can see where you mean - but even on the large photo, it looks uninhabited with no artifiicially-constructed features anywhere.

Do you get any reports of alien sightings or abductions in Iceland? I would think, they would assume it was uninhabitable!! ;)

8. Mr.QuakQuak

Mr.QuakQuak Guest

Jan 23, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm sueing Disney for $4 Million for false adversing of countries in Mighty Ducks 2.

"Iceland is green, Greenland is ice."

I have proof. If your a lawyer and want in come on !

Nic. likes this.
  9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Nutty country? nah! :)

Why didn´t I run for president? Well, the presidency in Iceland is not the same as in the US. The president here has much much less power.

B.t.w, just to show you how scarcely populated Iceland is, here are som facts:
    Capital: Reykjavik (pop. 111,000 (2000)).
    Total area: 103,000 km² (39,756 square.miles); vegetation: 23.8%, lakes: 2.8%, glaciers: 11.9%, wasteland: 64.5%.

Population December 2002: 288,471 (2.8 per sq. km).

10. khay0s

khay0s Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Brisbane, Australia.
    I really am impressed with that unemployment figure - 2.8%?!? Yikes...that is awesome! The high services figure also shows that its a typically Western/Industrialised nation with the GDP makeup. However, it is slightly unusual to see a country with such a small population with such a high service sector.

I must say that I'm hardly an expert on Iceland and only really know what Discovery Travel and the like are able to show. Would you think tourism be the main support behind the large service %?

Sorry to put you on the spot, just a little curious and always happy to learn what I can about the world.

[k]

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yes, tourism now plays quite a big part in our economy.
    Last year over 300.000 tourists visited Iceland. That´s more people than live here.

Our main revenue comes from fishing though.

12. Ivar, one of these days I'm going to make a trip to Iceland.
    Your country looks gorgeous from space; that is an excellent photo. :)

Three cheers for Eric The Red, Lief Ericson, and all the Vikings. :hyper:

My grandfather's grandfather was from Norway. ;)

Mike

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Very "cool" picture.

14. Bruce Lindfield

But isn't it true that your biggest industry is providing enough Cod, so that everyone in Britain can have Fish & Chips when they wnat!!?? ;)

15. Good one, Bruce! :D

Mike ;)

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I would like to say something cool about Iceland, but I can't think of anything right now.. So here is a photo of my grandfather.
    [​IMG]
    :hyper:

17. AHA! But he holds a Roman shield! :eek:

SPQR

"Senatus et Publicus que Roma." (The government and people that are Rome.) ;)

LMAO, Erlendur! :D

Mike

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hey now....you can't make reference to great Vikings, and leave out King Harald Hardrada. Yeah, he blew it in England, but his record until then was very impressive.

-Mike

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh yeah...once again....THANK YOU Ívar for the wonderful desktop photo. I just bought a new 19" LCD, and it looks amazing on it.

-Mike

20. Ah yes he was, until he was shot in the eye at the battle of Hastings. ;) (October 14, 1066 - THE YEAR OF RECKONING! :eek: )

Mike